Squid Scholarships

Main_board,

Right now I'm looking at various schools in eastern Canada mainly because moving to the other side of the country is a tad too expensive for a starving student like me. To find potential supervisors I've been looking at the biology departments of each school and contacting professors that are doing research in areas of my interest (invertebrates and fisheries). Basically, you just have to try to contact as many people as you can and see what turns up. One thing I've found...all the squid people I've met or contacted are super helpful and will try to help you out.

As for my honours thesis, it has actually nothing to do with squid - in fact it is on larval fish distributions. Luckily though, I had the opportunity to work on squid before I moved to NL, so I do have a bit of a background from that.

Funding for squid research? Well, I'll let you know if I ever find any. School's a bit busy lately so haven't had a chance to sit down and really look for some. But when I find some, I'll let you know.

p.s. First year is always crazy.....it gets better closer to 4th year!

main_board said:
I imagine you had a pretty big adjustment during the first year from the praries to NFL. Had you been out here before?

Not really. I lived in NB for a couple of years before moving to NL. The hills are what are getting to me....oh yeah, and the snow!

bathypol said:
Luckily though, I had the opportunity to work on squid before I moved to NL, so I do have a bit of a background from that.

Like when you were living out west? What were you doing?

Yeah, I've found that all the squid people I've met seem to be really really helpful and amazing. So the people in Atlantic Canada that you've contacted, are they not doing squid work, not taking on master students, or are not doing what you are interested in? Sorry about all the questions but as I've said, I'm totally going to be doing this in a few years and I'm just really excited and can't wait for it! Anyways, best of luck with your search!

Cheers!

main_board said:
Like when you were living out west? What were you doing?

I was working at a museum in NB, mainly just identifying and measuring different cephs. It was my first intro to the world of squid...kind of got hooked.

There aren't many squid people in Atlantic Canada and the one's I have got in contact with are like most scientists these days...lacking funding. You see, I'm interested in all kinds of ceph research....so as long as a project included squid, I'd be thrilled.

Well, it seems that you are well on your way...all the best in your degree (have fun with those dreaded first year course!).

p.s. Did I read you going to the ceph conference? How'd you manage that? Got extra room in your bag :biggrin2: ?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back