Squid or Jellyfish?

erich orser

Architeuthis
Supporter
Registered
Look like a massive jelly to me as well, but then I'm not an expert either.

Steve O'Shea

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Looks like a giant jelly to me too, but I'm no expert either :wink: . It could be something as bizarre as the first-reported adult Promachoteuthis. Without a better pic we'll never know.

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Registered
I'm no expert, but I play one on TV, and he would say it's a giant jellyfish, or a mushroom. The original source page is a Japanese blog, and I had no luck at parsing trusty Babelfish's translation.

Snafflehound

GPO
Registered
Clem said:
I'm no expert, but I play one on TV, and he would say it's a giant jellyfish, or a mushroom. The original source page is a Japanese blog, and I had no luck at parsing trusty Babelfish's translation.
that'd be even better than a new species of giant squid - first discovery of pelagic mushrooms!

monty

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Supporter
Snafflehound said:
that'd be even better than a new species of giant squid - first discovery of pelagic mushrooms!
I think that type of mushroom is known to science-- it can be found in Super Mario Brothers...

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
If it was a squid, then it must have at least more than 20 arms or tentacles, no fins and no eyes.

Then it should be a jellyfish.

and that does not look ver big to me compared to THIS:

Fujisawas Sake

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Registered
chrono_war01 said:
If it was a squid, then it must have at least more than 20 arms or tentacles, no fins and no eyes.

Then it should be a jellyfish.
What? :confused: I'm not sure I understand your meaning here...

I mean, we're talking totally different phyla here.

John

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
If that thing in the water is a squid, then it is a squid that have at least more than 20 arms or tentacles, no fins and no eyes.

Then I think that it is NOT a squid, but actually a jellyfish.

Members online

No members online now.