Squid - O.Briareus...

Super cute! That brings back memories. I remember Kalypso disappearing into my 75 and after about 2 weeks all the sudden there was a much larger octopus in my tank. Dangled shrimp on a skewer around all the cracks and crevices between rocks until arms lunged out.

FYI, I put a sea hare in with Kalypso one time... it disappeared real fast.

Well....my son had a long sighting last night and he got blurred pics! He said she was flashing colors and was the blueish-green color. I was almost ready to order a medium Mexican when Squid decided to make her presence known! Apparently she has grown too and living in the shell in the front of my tank!

If this one runs true to form for the small briareus I have kept, you will likely see it for the next week and then it will disappear again but won't stay hidden as long. It will repeat the show/hide sequence with the hides getting shorter and shorter and then it should come to eat daily. At some point you will see it out during the day and a good bit of the night. My best guess is that they start showing themselves comfortably at about 5 months old.

Saw parts of Squid last night! I fed the tank and was pushing prawn towards the shell with the piece of fishing rod I use and out came arms. She grabbed the rod, and about 5 pieces of prawn! So excited she is starting to show herself! Kevin said she was very startled when he found her out exploring the other night! I hope to stalk the tank and get some new pictures soon!!

My son called me to the tank yesterday afternoon and there were eyes watching! She took about 5 pieces of prawn and disappeared. She seems to be eating every other day.

So Squid is eating every other day or so at least the prawn but I'm beginning to suspect some of the snails are dinner as well because of the number of empty shells now being used as a door to the conch shell he lives in. This morning I did my usual scan of the tank and shell to see if "the eye" was out watching, and see this puff of ink and a mad little brown octopus in the front of the tank squished at the bottom. He went to the cave and sat there watching for about 15 minutes. I offered him a small piece of shrimp which he blew away and then pushed away with his leg. Kevin went to check on him again and he was gone! Got a pic though!!!:mrgreen:

He is getting more and more curious. I have a small video of him skirting out to the cave, sitting in the doorway, he grabbed a snail and went back to his shell. Tonight I was feeding the tank prawn and he took 3 pieces plus grabbed my finger for a bit and tried to pull me into the shell. Amazing the strength one so little has! Note in the cave picture how the top of his mantle is the same color as the cave!!!

Apparently Squid is developing relationships with the creatures that are up all hours of the night...meaning my son Kevin! He told me this morning, Squid was all over the tank and he had many pics to prove it!!! He's definitely coming out of his shell more and more and exploring his world! He is eating the mud snails along with ones I got in the mail plus frozen prawn. Even Jess said he was out this morning after I left for work!!!:roll:

I received my order from Coldwater Marine Aquatics yesterday! I received snails, shrimp and small crabs. All survived and I chose to put them all in the 70 with Squid, who was out this morning looking much larger! He seems to be making a nightly appearance. I leave my tank light on so he comes out when the rest of the house is dark. I have a feeling I may have more pictures later as my son tried to call me at midnight and that seems to be Squid favorite time to be roaming!

Good News!!! Squid has eaten his first crab from the new ones I put into the tank from Coldwater Marine Aquatics!!! Very happy he's doing so well!!! Almost at the 3 month mark. I did a water change yesterday, and there was "the eye" watching what I was up to. Getting very curious as to what we are always doing! So far so good!!!

We leave tomorrow morning! Just had a visit from a woman who will be watching the tanks, Squid and the dog that's not mine! Speaking of Squid, he's doing well. Eating like a pig! We collected about 40 mudsnails on Saturday so his tank is stocked. No sightings lately other that arms and an eye. I think he's so well fed, he doesn't feel the need to come out when we are around. I'm hoping when I return from CR, to let the food population, become more sparse in his tank so he starts showing again and becomes more dependent on me as the food Goddess!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back