squid found while gigging

well this weekend i went home to go flounder gigging(for those of you who dont know what this is... we go out on a boat at night along the banks with lights rigged up on the edge of the boat and look for flounder and when we see them we gig them...) anyway the second night we go about half dozen flounder and when im cleaning one a little squid was found in his belly and im just wondering what species it might be... ive caught some little squid before while shrimping at night when i was little but its been a while since ive seen one in this area ( charleston sc) anyway thought it was interesting

Attachments

• conv_302637.jpg
    conv_302637.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 100
  • conv_302638.jpg
    conv_302638.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 91
What a beautiful little squid. Sorry, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what it could be as I usually get them wrong, but thanks for posting the images.

It looks like some small sepiolid to me, but to identify it further, when I don't know the sepiolid fauna of the region, would not be too wise.

I know there is lolliguncula, illex, i think loligo and maybe another genus around here but those are the significant ones...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back