• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

squid found while gigging

joefish84

Sepia elegans
Registered
well this weekend i went home to go flounder gigging(for those of you who dont know what this is... we go out on a boat at night along the banks with lights rigged up on the edge of the boat and look for flounder and when we see them we gig them...) anyway the second night we go about half dozen flounder and when im cleaning one a little squid was found in his belly and im just wondering what species it might be... ive caught some little squid before while shrimping at night when i was little but its been a while since ive seen one in this area ( charleston sc) anyway thought it was interesting

Attachments

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
What a beautiful little squid. Sorry, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to what it could be as I usually get them wrong, but thanks for posting the images.

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
It looks like some small sepiolid to me, but to identify it further, when I don't know the sepiolid fauna of the region, would not be too wise.

WhiteKiboko

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
I know there is lolliguncula, illex, i think loligo and maybe another genus around here but those are the significant ones...

Members online