SQUID EGGS?!?!?

sedna

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
No, I didn't buy any. But as you're all getting used to reading, "My LFS has (insert something cool) for sale..."

So really, what is the likelihood that they are actually squid eggs? If they are, could they be anything that is tank safe? All they could tell me is that they are from the Pacific. More than anything I'm curious as to what they are, but that empty 55 gal is waiting for something GOOD.

The same store had 3 S. bandesis eggs which hatched out yesterday. 2 of the 3 were alive today, of course they didn't know what to do next. Luckily I was able to come home and check TONMO journals for advice!

Attachments

• conv_303546.jpg
    conv_303546.jpg
    772 KB · Views: 147
  • conv_303547.jpg
    conv_303547.jpg
    580.5 KB · Views: 181
  • conv_303548.jpg
    conv_303548.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 122
More notes come to mind...

The babies inside the eggs were clearly visible and larger already than the hatched cuttles in the box next to them. They were a very light color.

I'm only interested in these if A. they are identifiable as something O.K.(ethical) to get wild caught, and B. they are bob tail squid or just confused for a different cuttle that can live in 55 gal.

Upvote 0
Your title didn't mention they were "Area 51" squid eggs! I would be all over that except I'm sure the USAF will want them back. :lol:

I was always under the impression that squid eggs were more elongated... :confused:

I think bobtail eggs are much smaller than that.

Upvote 0
I had the same thought as Greg about squid eggs being elongated but I have only see TV specials and they may well come in different shapes. Except for the bobtail, though, squid are not supposed to do well in an aquarium.

I assume the 'Area 51' is to infer UNKNOWN? If the sign says $9.99 each, it might be interesting to see what hatches (or have you already done that?:sagrin:)

Upvote 0
I assume the 'Area 51' is to infer UNKNOWN? If the sign says $9.99 each, it might be interesting to see what hatches (or have you already done that?:sagrin:)[/QUOTE]

Not yet...:sagrin:

Upvote 0
Most cuttlefish eggs are listed as 'squid eggs' on wholesale lists. Squid eggs would be in a festoon.

I would guess those are Sepia latimanus from sight and from the idea that they have been coming in here and there this month.

Upvote 0
This is interesting. My boss at the LFS at work at here in Savannah went to a show in Tampa last week and he said they had squid eggs for 6$ per egg. He said he meant to grab me some but they got so much stuff the thought slipped their mind

Upvote 0
Half a meter- Holy Tentacles, Ceph Man! I'm not interested in giant cuttles, the 55 gal is crying out for and octo. I'm still willing to do the shipping end if anyone is interested in high shipping costs...

Upvote 0
Thales,
Is there a chance Paradox's broad club's size will stay contained to the size of the tank since it was tank hatched? This info may be posted somewhere but I don't recall another thread on larger cuttles that were tank hatched.

While I have your attention, Richard, any clue on problems with a mandarin and cuttles? Harry has been with about 3 years now and I won't risk him but was curious. It appears our trigger fish has left us and the 140 should work well for a few bandensis (but I wish it would work for a larger cuttle).

Upvote 0
sedna;133849 said:
Half a meter- Holy Tentacles, Ceph Man! I'm not interested in giant cuttles, the 55 gal is crying out for and octo. I'm still willing to do the shipping end if anyone is interested in high shipping costs...

If they hatch and eat I would be interested. :smile:

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back