Squid care? (renamed)

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by supersquid_girl, May 22, 2006.

1. supersquid_girl

supersquid_girl Pygmy Octopus Registered

Is there any where where i can talk about squid care?:confused:

2. bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Vampyroteuthis Supporter

:welcome: Supersquid girl! Glad you've joined our little group here. Anything about squids, octos, cuttlefish and anything else ceph related is a go here. If you look on the home page under articles, there are a number of good articles on ceph care. Squids aren't really kept in captivity, although Dr. Steve O'Shea has had some success in this. Was there anything specific you would like to know about squid care?

3. supersquid_girl

ummm.. what they eat, where you can get circular tanks near vancouver, and do they have any special needs?

4. Mizu

Mizu Vampyroteuthis Registered

Yeah closest any of us get to squid is cuttle fish .
    grr I rember reading they like more waterflow than cuttles.
    cant rember where i read that though

5. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

While we try to encourage people to learn more about cephs and the keeping of them for education in captivity, squids are for the most part "unkept" for a variety of reasons. If you could obtain a very, very large circular tank (perhaps even an inflatable pool) they could be kept for a while...the biggest problem with maintaining them is that they jet at very high speeds, typically crashing into the sides of their container, and rupturing their insides (resulting in death). Dr. O'Shea and the rest of the squid experts could tell you what size of tank/pool you would require for something like loligo, but I think the total cost of such a project is more likely to be undertaken by a research lab or university.

It would be interesting to hear more from you about your interest in squids, they are fascinating animals.

greg

6. TidePool Geek

TidePool Geek O. vulgaris Registered

Hi SSG,

The answers to all your questions are very much predicated on what species of squid you plan to keep. Since, to my knowledge, squid aren't normally available to the aquarium trade, I wonder if you're planning to get something from your local waters. If so, your number one priority should be keeping the water cold enough - below 12C (54F).

There are two local choices:

1. Opalescent squid (Loligo opalescens) - This fellow is pelagic in nature and quite short lived, even by ceph standards. They eat fish and other squid and probably need too much space to be practical for anything but a large public institution.

2. Stubby squid (Rossia pacifica) - This one is benthic and could probably be kept in an ordinary tank of about 110 liters (30 gallon) with some fine sand or mud since they like to bury themselves during the day. Their favorite food seems to be shrimp but it would likely be perfectly happy to eat tankmates if you put it in a community situation.

Of course, if you plan to somehow obtain a tropical species, everything I've said here is wrong.

Incorrectly yours,

Alex

P.S. The most economical round tank is probably a polyethylene livestock watering tank. Check with a local farm supply store.

7. kinetic

kinetic Blue Ring Registered

8. supersquid_girl

Is there any squid that can be kept in a tank smaller than 50 liters?

9. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

So that would be about 13 gallons??? No. I don't think anyone here would recommend a tank that small.

10. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

I concur.

11. kinetic

kinetic Blue Ring Registered

what size for a bobtail? 98g tank ok? 36 x 25 x 25?

12. clownfish

clownfish Vampyroteuthis Registered

Im not an expert on squid but I beleive you can keep a bob tail squid in a 98 gallon. I thought the limit was around 55 gallons. But Im not sure.

-Tom

13. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

:welcome: SSgirl

Squid are notoriously difficult to keep. They need LOTS of space and their are some plastics you can't use..........I forget which, but Steve knows (pm him!!) also feeding is a HUGE issue squid very rarely scavenge, you'll need a much larger supply of live food that you need with a similar sized octopus, larger plankton (eg euphasids, mysids etc) small fish and so on. Squid also can't deal with rocks etc in tanks. They also need a fairly large volume (50G or larger). They have a more severe startle reaction than octopus.

I've held Southern Arrow Squid for a very short time. Steve O and Kat are the experts tho!

The bobtails etc are much easier to keep!

J

14. dragonfish

dragonfish GPO Registered

I don't know about private keepers. but my girlfriend went to australia last september and in sydney aquarium they kept a (small) squidspecies.

don't know about the size or shape tank though. I'll check with her and post it later on

15. supersquid_girl

ok any squid that can be kept in a tank smaller than 50 gallons?

16. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

No! That's the short answer! Squid need room! Having said that the Bobtails and Bottletails can. But they're Sepiolids not Teuthids and thus aren't really squid. Many are extremely nocturnal but I believe that Rossia pacifica can be kept successfully.

Cheers

J

17. supersquid_girl

so would keeping a octopuss or cuttlefish be easier?

18. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Yes, especially if you choose a smaller one that doesn't required chilled water.

For cuttles, look at S. bandensis that is discussed on Cuttlefish Care forum - I believe Righty is still sellling them.

Nancy

19. supersquid_girl

So should i get an octopuss or cuttlefish? Which is easyer?

20. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Different animals have specific needs. Corals, for example, are considered difficult to keep because they require a certain type of light at high intensity for their photosynthetic symbionts. Yet corals have been kept successfully by many, many more people than cephalopods, which do not have specific lighting requirements. For this reason it is impossible to truly characterize animals as "easy" or "hard."

If you're interested in keeping cephalopods I'm sure you'll read some of the excellent articles on this site about how to keep octopuses and cuttlefish. I'm sure you'll also find the treasure trove of informative discussions on the message boards. I think that if anyone asks a question in the first 12 hours they spend at TONMO they're not making full use of the available resources :o)

Dan