Squid beaks from whale stomachs

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Steve O'Shea said:
Time to make a prediction: you'll probably start hearing reports (maybe headlines if people are not bored with the squid already, and nothing else is happening in the news) of Architeuthis washing ashore or being caught in fishing nets in about 8 days (15 December) through to Feb (at least).O
Well, I've just returned from picking up samples from the Tangaroa (NIWA research vessel), and apparently a 15 foot Architeuthis was caught ~ 50°S [off the Auckland Islands] ~ two weeks ago [~ 8 December] by a fishing vessel working alongside; not sure where the specimen is yet, or if they even kept it - the vessel that caught it returned to New Zealand to unload several days ago. It looks like it is going to be another 'normal' year down here for GS.
O

sharpcuda

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
WOW steve you seriously are my personal hero!!!! This is no sarcasm...this is simply amazing stuff!!!! I may not be able to comprehend all of this right now...but will someday with your help!!!!

Tonmo has brought me so much closer to my dream!!!! You help me live it until i can be there in the flesh!!!!! :D

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Holy guacamole .... now why doesn't anyone in my immediate circle of friends speak so highly of me? Oh, that's right ... they know me better. Even I don't like myself!

What're you studying Sharpcuda?
O

sharpcuda

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Steve did not mean to make you blush lol :oops: :oops:

I have learned alot from Tonmo and you though!!!
I am getting a BA in Zoology...Heading towards icthiology or invertebrae zoology. If I could only make up my bloody mind :x :?: lol

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
....well, I'm ever so slightly biased when it comes to your 2 choices, so I'll stay out of it. HOWEVER, if you make the right decision :wink: and want to work on some aspect of ceph biology, systematics or culture in NZ in the future then sing out (but there are many other invertebrate groups to work on that I am interested in....).

....back to the thread though, we should have an update on the squid beaks from the old whale stomachs by the end of Feb.

sharpcuda

Cuttlefish
Registered
Reaction score
:) Thank you so much Steve really. My problem is I Think I have to many interests lol !!! Never a dull moment...!!! Can't wait to hear more about the squid beaks though!!! Should be interesting indeed!!!

Danielle

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it looks like we'll receive the stomach contents of another whale very soon - this one a pygmy sperm whale (Kogia breviceps). I understand that in addition to beaks within the stomach contents we have a few whole squid - something that will certainly make squid identification easier!

As soon as we get the Architeuthis stomach content work complete (another thread) we'll move on the original sperm whale stomach contents (this thread), and then the new Kogia contents. We'll attach a few pictures so that you can see the nature and extent of the task for yourselves (there's a lot of beak to examine).

Us

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
Reaction score
Gidday all,
We'll have some pictures of the beaks posted by week's end (by which time I will have either finished the roll of film or figured out how to rewind it in the middle ;) ). Be glad most of you are on the other side of the planet, though - any closer and you'd smell 'em for sure. :yuck:

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
..... 2 days to go ..... (she put slide film in instead of print, and 36 exposure instead of 24, and she calls me disorganised :x )

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
celinad12

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak