Squid Beak Preservation

Steve O'Shea;105197 said:
Hi Heather; 99% iso is way too strong (had it been a soft-bodied animal as opposed to beak it would now be shrivelled up into a crusty little blob on the bottom of the jar). You only need 40% iso or 70% ETOH - any more will simply dehydrate the tissues. As you don't intend to 'drink' the solution (I sincerely hope not), it wouldn't matter if you diluted it with tap or toilet [safer than corn whisky!] water.
Cheers
O

Steve, for preserving soft bodied animals, how large a specimen can 40%iso be good for? Im asking because I do notice the tissue dehydrating to some degree with my specimens using 70%. Would this dilluted solution be good for a squid with a mantle length of a little over 1ft ?

Paradox;105221 said:
Steve, for preserving soft bodied animals, how large a specimen can 40%iso be good for? Im asking because I do notice the tissue dehydrating to some degree with my specimens using 70%. Would this dilluted solution be good for a squid with a mantle length of a little over 1ft ?

Unless new info has come up since this article:

Large Squid Fixing and Preservation Notes

40% iso is fine for about as large as squids get.

Paradox;105221 said:

There is a difference between "fixing" a specimen and "preserving" a specimen. A specimen is "fixed" by immersing in formalin, which stops the cells from breaking down. The specimen is then "preserved" by gradually replacing the formalin with alcohol. Formalin is difficult to obtain because it is is carcinogen, so most of us only have access to alcohol. Alcohol does work, but you will probably notice some changes over time.

If you really want to understand this process :bonk: http://www.freshpatents.com/Use-of-...t20061005ptan20060223139.php?type=description

Cuttlegirl,

Would that process work with a whole squid specimen? Or any cephalopod? I've been looking on biological sites for a squid to dissect, and maybe an octopus. I think that maybe I could understand the care of these animals from the inside out, plus I think that dissection and biology in general are absolutely fascinating. Could I buy a vacuum sealed squid, and put it in a formalin/alcohol solution? I'd really like to have a few specimens of Euprymna scolopes for preservation (or fixation, or whatever :P), or possibly Rossia pacifica. I've become passionate about sepiolids lately...

If anyone knows where I can get a few dead specimens of Euprymna scolopes or Rossia pacifica could you please PM me?

If you can find a fish market in your area, you might be able to buy whole frozen squid and octopus. It would be better for your health to dissect a defrosted squid or octopus than one soaked in formalin. After dissection, you might not want to preserve it (the specimen will be damaged). Do you have a teacher who could help you?

Why do you want to preserve some sepiolids?

No, sorry I should have been more clear. I meant buy a squid that is intended for dissection, but not dissecting it. Preserving it instead. But I do want to get a squid to dissect. I mean get a preserved squid from a biological supply company and preserve it in a jar.

I want to preserve some sepiolids because I think that they are a completely unique family of cephalopods. They are small, and I really like studying them.

If I recall, it's perfectly fine to put the specimen in Formaldehyde for a wee while just to "fix" the animal, and then transfer it to water before it essentially becomes leather. Only problem is that formaldehyde is horrible, horrible stuff and bad for the environment because it "fixes" any biological structure. Speak to your local college, museum or Uni, they might be happy to help.

I also heard that the best way to dispose of formaldehyde is to pour dried milk into it, essentially making a cheese. The stuff fixes the organic milk and becomes safe (since it can't fix anything else). That doesn't mean the "cheese" is safe to eat though, mind...

Brings back memories:biggrin2: Travelling around with a preserved Eledone in my car, the stench of Formalin, trying to get it to the lab at Uni for me dissertation... ahhh.

Brock Fluharty;105333 said:
No, sorry I should have been more clear. I meant buy a squid that is intended for dissection, but not dissecting it. Preserving it instead. But I do want to get a squid to dissect. I mean get a preserved squid from a biological supply company and preserve it in a jar.

I want to preserve some sepiolids because I think that they are a completely unique family of cephalopods. They are small, and I really like studying them.

You could just go down to the local fish shop, supermarket or bait shop and buy a squid (it would be cheaper than getting it from a bio supply company!). [The bait shop would be the cheapest; you'd get a large bag of squid for a couple of dollars.]

I was in the field for the last two days, and will be from morrow through to the end of next week. I was rather happy to collect ~ 40 small sepiolid eggs (Sepioloidea pacifica) from beneath rocks at one locals yester, and have brought them back to hatch and ongrow (finding eggs of these is more difficult than those of the more obvious Sepioteuthis). They are lovely, relatively easy squid to keep alive.

:shock::notworth:

I'm jealous!!!

I'm definately moving to NZ to work with you after college!!!

:lol:

I think we have a few bait shops, but i'd be afraid that the squid would be ill handled, or stored. Not sure if we have a fish market...I don't live near any particularly exceptional bodies of water...

Worth a look around though!

:squid:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back