SpongeBob accused of promoting gay agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like the Teletubbies I guess

Conservative group targets 'pro-homosexual' SpongeBob video
THEY HAVE MET THE ENEMY -- SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
THE NEW YORK TIMES

WASHINGTON -- On the heels of electoral victories to bar same-sex marriage, some influential conservative Christian groups are turning their attention to a new target: SpongeBob SquarePants.

"Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, asked the guests Tuesday night at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies to celebrate the election results.

In many circles, SpongeBob needs no introduction. He is popular among children and grownups as well who watch him cavorting under the sea on the Nickelodeon cartoon program that bears his name. In addition, he has become a camp figure among adult gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his animated sidekick Patrick.

Now, Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appeared alongside other children's television characters such as Barney and Jimmy Neutron, among many others. The video's makers, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of elementary schools this spring to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity." He urged his allies to stand against it as part of a "spiritual battle" for the country.

The video's creator, Nile Rodgers, who wrote the disco hit "We Are Family," says Dobson's objection stemmed from a misunderstanding. Rodgers said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the Sept. 11 attacks to create a music video featuring 100 well-known cartoon characters dancing to his song in order to teach children about multiculturalism.

The video has appeared on Nickelodeon and other networks, and nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity. The "tolerance pledge," which was borrowed from the Southern Poverty Law Center, is not mentioned on the video.

Rodgers suggested that Dobson and the American Family Association, the conservative Christian group that first sounded the alarm, might have been confused by an unrelated Web site belonging to another group called "We Are Family." That site is owned by a Charleston, S.C., group that supports gay youth.

Mark Barondeso, general counsel for the We Are Family Foundation, suggested that anyone who says the video promotes homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased."

Yesterday however, Paul Batura, assistant to Dobson, said Focus on the Family stood by its assertions. "We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said.

:spongebo: :roll: :shock:

They just ran the entire video on MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Obermann. Dobson, evidently, hasn't even seen the video yet. This is just plain silly.

erich orser said:
They just ran the entire video on MSNBC's Countdown with Keith Obermann. Dobson, evidently, hasn't even seen the video yet. This is just plain silly.

Typical.

The last thing fundimentalists want are facts.

No, it's true...since I have seen one half of an episode of Sponge Bob Squarepants, I suddenly find myself fantasizing about Brad Pitt in lingerie, and skipping to the local Circle K to buy a four pack of wine coolers (bahama breeze is my favourite)...!

What a load of dung...I am sure they were all at the inauguration though.

greg

Greg, :lol:.

I always kinda suspected Patrick, but Spongebob? Geez, it's like Rock Hudson all over again (I imagine)...

Ok, ok... the story here needs to be straightened...

It's not the video or spongebob himself that people are upset about, here guys. I saw part of it, and it's perfectly harmless. The real issue that conservatives are up in arms over is the fact that the company who produced the video also created some literature to give the elemenary schools along with it. This was "guidelines" for for the teachers to use to help the children understand and accept alternate lifestyles.

Not all conservatives are crazy, as many media outlets would have you believe.

by the way, i did happen to be in D.C. this week... :wink: :razz:

fluffysquid said:
Ok, ok... the story here needs to be straightened...
Apparently, the story's not the only thing that needs straightening. :spongebo: :wink:

fluffysquid said:
It's not the video or spongebob himself that people are upset about, here guys.
Paul Batura, assistant to Dobson, said Focus on the Family stood by its assertions. "We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said.
fluffysquid said:
The real issue that conservatives are up in arms over is the fact that the company who produced the video also created some literature to give the elemenary schools along with it. This was "guidelines" for for the teachers to use to help the children understand and accept alternate lifestyles.
The We Are Family Foundation said:
Tolerance is a personal decision that comes from a belief that every person is a treasure. I believe that America's diversity is its strength. I also recognize that ignorance, insensitivity and bigotry can turn that diversity into a source of prejudice and discrimination.
To help keep diversity a wellspring of strength and make America a better place for all, I pledge to have respect for people whose abilities, beliefs, culture, race, sexual identity or other characteristics are different from my own.
How utterly vile.

fluffysquid said:
Not all conservatives are crazy...
Certainly not. Many of them are just plain evil. :razz: (Many non-conservatives are probably out to lunch, too.)

fluffysquid said:
...as many media outlets would have you believe.
Not Fox News! They'd have me believe all kinds of other zany things!

um... said:
Not Fox News! They'd have me believe all kinds of other zany things!
For instance: it is perfectly acceptable for an Australian media magnate to adopt the gay lifestyle in order to meet women.

Clem

When you run into a conservative, my advice is to keep your mouth shut and hold onto your wallet tightly !!

The gall of these *^(&()__+'s trying to tell me what is moral and what isn't really fries my fritters !!!!!

And I don't even like S/B squarepants...!!!

They. Are. Idiots. HAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHA (deep breath) haHAhaHAhaHAhaHAha!!!!!! PARANOID IDJITS! HAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAhaHAha!!!!!! :madsci:

cthulhu77 said:
The gall of these *^(&()__+'s trying to tell me what is moral and what isn't really fries my fritters !!!!!

Come on, Greg, can't you see how that's necessary to protect you from tyranny and keep you free?

You gotta have someone around to blame for the wrath of god.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back