[Octopus]: Spock - A.aculeatus

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
So I decided I should start a new journal for this octo and keep it separate from Boni's.

This octopus cam from LiveAquaria. it was one of two that i ordered at the same time. One from mexico and one from Indonesian. Neither octo was labeled so I am guessing that this is the Indonesian octopus. To me it look very much like an Acileatus but I am not positive yet. Only time I have seen this guy was during acclimation, once i released him in my big 120 gal. tank it disappeared into the liverock.

Attachments

• conv_305108.jpg
    conv_305108.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
  • conv_305109.jpg
    conv_305109.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
FINALLY the little guy was out and about exploring the tank and its surroundings. It came out at about 10pm and has been out ever since. I was able to coax it into taking a piece of shrimp.

Attachments

• conv_299754.jpg
    conv_299754.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 103
Mine is eating very well from a stick daily. Sadly she is eating so well I am afraid brooding is in the near future. We feed the tanks around 7:00 PM and she learned in a day when supper is served and is out waiting. Unfortunately, she does not stay out with use present. I did see her out (until she saw me) about an hour after her supper one night but not since. Initially she would come all the way out of her den waiting for supper, now she will stay just visible and not come out unless we hold the food where she has to but then she takes it into her den.

I can't quite tell if they are the same species. I have not seen enough of either one to make a good comparison but they appear similar.

Soo, I'm pretty sure This one is a male and i'm even more sure it is an Aculeatus. I decided to call him Spock. i'm not a trekky or anything but i did just watch the movie so its stuck in my head.

He comes out quite often and he seems to be developing a schedule. Every night from 10 -12pm he comes out and explores the tank and plays with his live shrimp, he Doesnt hunt them, he just pesters them, almost like he is herding them around the tank. They are a little to big for him to catch. i just left them in thye tank and at feeding time i just catch one and split it between Bonni and Spock. He also come out in the morning around 10am and he will mostly watch me and follow my movments but he also explores some during this time.

Attachments

• conv_299769.jpg
    conv_299769.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 112
Everyone is feeling photogenic today, Thank god my stupid nikon decided to work for once. iphone just doesnt do these guys justice.

these photos are not photoshop'd, just crop'd. Didn't need to on these, tank lights where off on the dark ones and a flash was used.

Attachments

• conv_299786.jpg
    conv_299786.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • conv_299787.jpg
    conv_299787.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_299788.jpg
    conv_299788.jpg
    730.1 KB · Views: 118
Welllll....Hr has disappeared....He stopped eating awhile ago and judging from his erratic behavior i would say he was senescent. I have not seen any sign of him in about a week. i suspect he died somewhere I could not see him and he was eaten by the cleanup crew and live shrimp....so at this point I am considering Spock dead. RIP little buddy.

I have been keeping LittleBit's eggs in water since Feb 7 to see how quickly they rot (these were unfertilized eggs). In an aquarium, you never see them for long so I wondered if they deteriorate quickly or if they are consumed. I have accidentally let the bowl fully evaporate more than once and have place part of them in fresh water (to see if FW destroys the tissue and giving a thought to why there are no FW cephs). ALL the eggs look just about like they did when I removed them so clean-up crew and/or the female octo are heavily implicated. It is amazing how quickly the crew can consume dead material.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back