Staff member
Robotic Staff
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 80, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: j"]

Spirula "Spines," Spread, And Spawnlings
[SIZE=-1]Science 2.0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]One of the more unusual cephalopods of my acquaintance (and I do not say this lightly) is the ram's horn squid, Spirula spirula. The species is named for its beautifully coiled internal shell, which is all most people (including me) have ever seen of ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

More...

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
That is a squid I would really like scientists to catch on video and bring up for investigation. I have never seen this type of internal shell mentioned.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
... but did you ever see a live one? I am really curious about what they look like with their clothes on.

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
the picture of the 2 shells in the hand.... is that what this story is about?? We find quite a few of them along our beaches after rough seas, it's not uncommon to find a hand full in a short walk. But I have never seen a live one or a dead one intact.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
DWhatley;185909 said:
What a strange critter. It looks like the shell is partialy exposed.
On those two pics from TOL it is exposed, for some reason the skin on the mantle is missing or has been removed. And on Steve's photo, if the skin is not missing it is very transparent. :hmm:

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
The one on TOL is obviously dead but the one Steve has on TONMO looks alive or close and definitely looks thin skinned where the shell shows, almost like a window. Odd critter for sure.

Members online