Spike - ZyanSilver - Baby Bimac on his way!

3 weeks for Spike

He's doing very well. The new thing is he's discovered the extent of his world. He jets from corner to bottem of the tank. Perches in the corner at the top observing us. This morn, he was all spiked up sitting on a peice of coral.

What a beautiful picture and what a great little octo! Happy squidmas/cephalopodmas and many friendly muttonchops for 2007!

SPIKE, I am your father. Have a wonderful holiday! I am happy that you're doing well without me there. Know that I am always thinking of you. I can still picture you as a newborn when you took your first crawl
across the tank...
zy

Spike, you're doing well in your new home.

How nice to have good wishes from your dad :smile:

Hope you get a nice big crab for Chirstmas!

Nancy

Spike Nipped Me!

There is always discussion on how does it feel to be bit by your octopus. This morning, Spke was looking for food, perched by the waterline. I got brave! Captured a crab and daggled it by him. Well he not only grabbed the crab but my hand as well. For 10 minutes he tried his best to drag me into the tank. I was shaking. This is the first time I've ever allowed one of my octopuses to grab me and then continue to envelope my whole hand! Anyway after 10 minutes, he finally started to release me but succeeded in taking a tiny nibble before he finally let go. The bite was minimal but stung for about 10 minutes and now there is just a red mark on my finger. And Spike is back in the entrance of his shell, munching away on the crab. I got pics but have printer issues which happens to have my card reader in it so later today I will post pics.

Good thing you don't keep blue-rings! The only bite that ever caused any damage to me was from a dwarf, and that was just limited paralysis of the hand for a day...I'm sure that is going to sting for awhile though! Ouch!

Yes...I was surprised at the amount of strength this little guy has. It really was an effort to keep him from dragging my whole hand and arm into the tank. I was worried I may hurt him if I pulled back too hard, so I just let him have my hand till he got tired of it. Seems like after he tasted me was when he finally released my hand. He's stalking me as I type....Anyway...first shot is when he still had ahold of me. Second he had just started to go back down to eat his crab and the third, obviously he was back home enjoying his meal.

Now he knows you don't taste very good!:smile:

Something you might aim for eventually: bimacs, maybe all octopuses, seem to like to be petted between and above their eyes. I used only one finger. I believe joefish petted the arms, too.

Nancy

Spike looks downright smug in that last picture! From day one Sleipner's struggled with catching crabs (witness the videos on his thread). After a few days when we finally found a carapace outside his den he was sitting over it like a cat showing off a bird or a mouse.

Dan

LOL.....Hey Colin!!! HOw R Ya? I laughed with all the reminders of the video of Jess getting bit...she was real quick to say "Now you know how I felt", while laughing....I am amazed that they have the strength that they do and that he wasn't injured. He couldn't have cared less that at one point I had him raised almost completely out of the water.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back