Spike - Abdopus ?

So I decided to take a break last month when Trinity passed away. I was sad and disheartened and just didnt want to do it again for a while. Since then that tank has stayed empty other than bat star sea star and macro algae. I was about to start putting regular fish in the tank (damsels etc) when my husband pointed out that he missed me keeping octopuses. I was ok with that but still wasnt ready. Then yesterday I was reading on Reef Central and the coolest hitchhiker ever and I crumbled Our liverock stowaway - Octopus - Reef Central Online Community

I ordered an octopus from Live Aquaria today and hopefully they will still have some in stock. If they do it will be here Wednesday. I have the two days to get the tank back in shape which wont be to bad. I just need to do a large water change and rework the rock a bit.

I bought some Dr Toms One and Only which has been tested by many local reefers and is used by many public aquariums. I will use this to prevent any cycle because I will be moving and disturbing the rock/water.

Wish me luck, I am apparently, back to the obsession lol.:madsci:

Looks like my octopus shipped today at 330 and will be here tomorrow.

Unfortunately my whole house is sick except for me and I have been taking care of everyone. They have a REALLY bad stomach virus and cant eat anything with out it coming right back out. My son cant even keep pedialite down which is worrisome.

All of this means I didnt get to do any of the work I had planned which is ok just not ideal. I will be going to the fish store tomorrow and buying 45 gallons of saltwater so I can do multiple water changes both before and after the octopus gets here.

Unfortunately my whole house is sick
'Tis the season I afraid. Son and Grandson sick the week before Christmas and I am miserable today. Luckily everyone was healthy for the holiday but I have not done my weekly maintenance either.

Sorry to hear you arent feeling well. It seems my family decided to pass this nastiness around for Christmas yay lol. My dad and brother, sister and her 3 sons, other brother his wife and 4 children, my daughter husband and son plus 2 cousins in Corpus all have this nastiness and its more than a little overwhelming on the care taker side.

I am a member of a local reef club called MARSH reef. Tomorrow one of the fellow members is bring me about 10 gallons of water so that I dont have to go to the fish store with 2 very ill children. This is such a blessing as I dont think either of my children would make it there and back with out either vomiting or having to use the restroom for about 10 min before we head home. This is not a good time to be expecting an octopus but it should bring some cheer into my kids faces as they too have miss me keeping octopuses.

I hope you feel better soon.

I hope you all feel better quick! So happy to hear you are going to have a ceph-arrival! Can hardly wait to hear details!!! Feel better!

I feel so much better now about Trinity now that your getting another octopus! I feel so glad for you! :mrgreen:
By any chance, have you've thought of the new octo's name? I was thinking Neo, in memory of Trinity (Matrix!).

I dont know just yet about names. He/She has arrived and is nice and small. Probably about a 1 inch mantle. Hes in the bucket and its going to be a very long acclimation. I will probably put him in the tank in about 2 hours. So around 6 or 7 tonight. He looks good. I will post pics soon. I havent taken any yet since I am trying to limit stress. I will post some in a little bit.

:fingerscrossed: Hopefully aculeatus and not the smaller, nocturnal. I am not sure if I could tell from photos, but I was pretty sure in less than a week that Espy was the smaller nocturnal.

I find it really odd that everytime I decide to try for an aculeatus, I end up with something else. I am not complaining though as I have enjoyed all that they have sent.

I have a video of putting him in the tank I will upload in a bit. He is missing an arm, looks like a very new loss. He was VERY spikey (grumpy?) I am assuming.

Once it was tank time it was very hard to get a good picture.

I am pretty sure its aculeatus but we will see. Hes hiding now yay which is a very good sign.
It took a little bit to convince him to get out of the bucket... down to almost no water except a tiny puddle and I carefully walked him down. Video is being uploaded now and after I edit it I will post it.

Attachments

• conv_298915.jpg
    conv_298915.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 111
  • conv_298916.jpg
    conv_298916.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 115
  • conv_298917.jpg
    conv_298917.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 128
While I was uploading the video I noticed that he came out looking around the tank. He had the skunk look to him and didnt seem all that happy with the circumstances. After a while he seemed to settle in and had hidden for the night. I will be getting an order of crabs on saturday. In the mean time there are plenty of dib snails in the tank if he gets hungry.

Octopus has a name, Spike. If someone can change the name of the thread to Spike - Abdopus ? that would be great. My son named him because he was so "spikey" when we put him in the tank. I saw octopus poop during the day yesterday so it looks like he ate one of the snails in the tank. I dont keep hermits anymore since they always kill off my snails.

Spike came out last night into full view. At first I thought my eyes were playing tricks and turning the rock into octopus shapes because we all know that can happen, but then he started bobbing up and down and I knew it was him. He stayed out for a little while and then I went to sleep. I am still not sure what kind of octopus he is, but we will see.

I have come down with what the rest of my family has had and its not pretty. I will try to get more pics tonight but if not tonight then over the next few days.

I am pretty sure that spike is a member of abdopus sp but which kind is still up for debate. Hes only come out in full open at night time when the moon lights are on but he ate something judging by the poop (I believe) during the day so either is possible.

Nocturnal or not I dont think I will be ordering or asking for any more bimacs for a while. The tank I have seems far to small personally. Its a 50 gallon cube which isnt small but doesnt offer much swimming room for a larger octopus. I will keep ordering from Live Aquaria in hopes that I will be able to keep them for a while like I did before.

I like to wait 2 weeks before getting comfortable with what time an animal will appear. Keep in mind that not only is the tank a new environment but that there is a difference in when the sun rises and sets so you can expect activity time to change.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back