South Australia Cuttlefish colony missing - NEWS.com.au | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

South Australia Cuttlefish colony missing - NEWS.com.au

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 80, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: j"]

South Australia Cuttlefish colony missing
[SIZE=-1]NEWS.com.au[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]SOUTH Australia's Giant Cuttlefish breeding colony - regarded the world over as a natural marvel - has disappeared. Experts and tourism operators say they are at a loss to explain why the tens of thousands of Giant ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Editorial: Protect our cuttlefish[SIZE=-1]Adelaide Now[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 5 news articles[/SIZE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

More...

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
This is terrible news! Wasn't there some concern a while ago about a desalination plant that was setting up nearby (edit: here we go)? No mention of it in the article. Maybe we should have gone there instead of the Great Barrier Reef -- may have missed our chance. I sincerely hope that they are just very, very late. :sad:

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Kat, I don't think they have started on the desalination plant yet (just from reading the news articles that have come through here). It was my impression that it was going to be approved now but had not been started.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I wonder how far fetched it would be to suspect intentional overfishing/removal since no one is responsible for monitoring? Conspiracy theories could be rumored either way on this as
a) The desalination people removing the object of objection before the plant is built and therefore would not be blamed for a decline and would not have to add the expense of the deeper water exhaust that was mentioned in the latest news blip
b) Conservation radicals trying to show what would happen to the tourist economy if the cuttles are not protected.

I am not one to usually suggest conspiracy but the answer feels better than another instance of climate change effects.

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
There is a petition going to the South Australian Premier... no idea whether it will/could help, but if anyone else wants to sign, here it is.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
There is a petition going to the South Australian Premier... no idea whether it will/could help, but if anyone else wants to sign, here it is.
signed and facebook'd

Cuddlycuttlefsh

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
"b) Conservation radicals trying to show what would happen to the tourist economy if the cuttles are not protected."

The only people who'd care about the disappearance of cuttle fish besides the people already aware of their disappearance would be tourist, everyone else is scratching their heads wondering whats going on

Members online

No members online now.

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards