Sorseress Heads West

As someone who just recently moved across the country (from Long Beach, CA to Pittsburgh PA), good luck unpacking and finding those important things (still searching for my daughter's mittens...). Our first furniture purchase was a couch (got tired of sitting on a wooden bench...). I understand what you are going through, now if I could only get the contractor to finish painting my bedroom... (why would you stop painting at three walls???). It sounds like you are enjoying the new wildlife. We have a great horned owl (surprisingly, no rabbits :hmm: ), two resident groundhogs, deer and wild turkey in our yard.

We had a scare day before yesterday, we saw a dead road runner on the street in front of our house and thought it was "our" road runner. This morning we saw "our" road runner in it's accustomed spot on the wall. It's horrible that someone hit a roadrunner, although it's understandable, since they dart around so fast. It's also bizarre that we could get so attached to a bird, who certainly hasn't acknowledged our presence, in less than a week. We had such great wildlife at our home in Md. Tons of different birds, bald eagle fledglings practicing take offs and landings from our tallest tree, ( as well as a 45 minute parental mating flight over head) red tailed hawk fledgelings (4 of them) practicing their pounces with a dead mouse provided by mom hawk, raccoons bringing their babies up on the deck to meet us, grey foxes waiting their turn to eat the dogfood we put out for the raccoons, skunks and opossums down by the wood pile, kestrels, great horned owls, wild turkeys, pileated woodpeckers as well as downeys, hairys, redbellies, flickers and yellowbellied sapsuckers. I was lucky enoughto have a chickadee hop into my hand to eat sunflower seeds and have a flying squirrel just glance over his shoulder while I stroked his back with one finger. Lots of other birds and mammals, including some deer who became altogether too fond of the plants in our front yard. I could never really begrudge them their goodies, because we got so much pleasure in watching them. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes visiting in our new, much smaller, and much more suburban yard, but I will definitely miss our old neighbors. Enjoy your critters, Cuttlegirl. They are so much fun to watch.

I'm suffering from sticker shock! A new washer and dryer, frontloading of course, because they are so much better re water and energy efficiency, a new bed, or at least the essentials. A head board can wait, but a really good mattress is a whole lot more expensive than it used to be. A new sofa and love seat, Dave got a new recliner, and I finally got a chair, (a lovely little club chair) that fits me. I am SO tired of my feet not touching the floor when I sit down, or perching on the front so they will. There's still stuff that we need, but that's a pretty good start. All of the pieces that they are replacing were so old that it would have been insanity to move them. Most of our furniture was older than a lot of the people on this site. We were really ready for some new stuff, but I'm not used to spending so much money in 2 days!
I've spent very little time on line, but I have been reading most of the new posts, and trying to catch up with all the stuff that was posted while I was off-line, even if I haven't been responding to them yet. Your reprieve will be coming to an end soon...:twisted:

Well, sorry you spent so much in one outing, but kinda glad you've finally got new furniture! When are you getting your first salt-water tank?

Furniture??? Bed???? Aren't you supposed to get all of that stuff after you have your octo tank set up ??? :smile:

I know what you mean about spending a lot of money right after a move... Don't forget new pillows... I had a headache and neckache for two weeks before I figured out my pillow was completely flat...

You'll discover a lot of wildlife in the suburbs. I had a black flycatcher pair nest yearly in my carport. The babies would fledge in the backyard and hop around for about a week before leaving.

Glad to hear you are settling in.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back