Sorseress Heads West

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by erich orser, Oct 26, 2005.

1. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Well, on behalf of Sorseress and Lt. Col. David Orser, I just thought I'd post that as of now they're driving West toward their new home in Green Valley, Arizona, and ought to be in the Sonoran Desert in about five-six days. I doubt she'll be online any time in between, but I'm wishing them a speedy, safe journey to the beautiful American Southwest!

Now if we can just get her to sew a lifesized stuffed messie...:mesonych:

2. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Make sure they tour the Titan missile silo.

Dan

3. erich orser

Heck, that silo is practically next door! It's a museum now, of course.

4. erich orser

Well, Mum and Dad have been delayed a couple days and won't be leaving until Friday morning, but when they arrive in the Tuscon area in about a week, it might be nice if Sorseress had a bunch of well-wishes waiting for her. I noticed this worked well for Colin.

5. CapnNemo

CapnNemo Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Good luck with your move Sorseress! I hope all goes well.

:smile:

Books! Always the books are the hardest to move.

:read:

6. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Wow...another Tonmonaught coming to our fair state!!!
    Be sure to send pics of the new place...I sure am envious of where you are moving to!!! (one of the prettiest spots in the world, imo)
    Travel safely, and may none of your boxes be lost!

greg

7. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

best of luck on the move and settling in!

8. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Furthest from the sea, or any dead yet dreaming entities therein...

Green Valley, verdant desert paradise, well within reach of the internet and not too far from my beloved red rock country. Enjoy the silence, enjoy the starshine, enjoy the new setting of your lives!

Cheers,

Olaf

9. erich orser

I just got off the phone with Sorseress and Dad, and the movers have finished. They're now in Green Valley safely, the cats are padding around on the saltillo tiles, drinks have been poured, and from the sound of it it'll be days before they even can find the computer, but they're now living within their Spanish villa with a view of the glorious Santa Rita mountains. In Springtime, the bats arrive.

10. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Yipee!

Glad that went well!

11. cthulhu77

Cool ! Now I have a place to stay when I'm searching for Oxybelis !!!! (just kidding...but we probably will stop by and see your new digs, sounds beautiful !)

12. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Best Wishes on your move! Looking forward to pics!

Carol & Jess

13. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Sounds fabulous...happy housewarming!!

Jean

14. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Thanks for all the good wishes. It really is beautiful here, but I've barely gotten out of the house, and there must be at least 300 hundred more boxes (yes, most of them full of books..I lie, only about 80 of them) to unpack. We got rid of most of our "early Air Force" furniture, and are living with what will eventually be patio furniture, plus a few other pieces. Until we buy some more furniture most of those boxes will remain out in the garage. The kitchen has more cabinet space than I had in Md, so we can cook and eat. The cable guy just left, so we now have broad band and television.
    The first morning we were here we got up to see a road runner in our yard, and he remained most of the day. The next day we saw a dozen quail running around, but so far, in what is supposed to be one of the best places in the US for hummingbirds, not a one has been seen. We have some planting to do. Nectar for hummers and bats are high on our landscaping requirements.
    It's good to be here, and we are really looking forward to learning what the area has to offer.
    You'll be welcome anytime Greg, just so long as you don't bring any of your creepy crawly pals in the house!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

15. cthulhu77

LOL...nope, wouldn't do that to you !! Post up some pics when you get a chance..

greg

16. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

As someone who just recently moved across the country (from Long Beach, CA to Pittsburgh PA), good luck unpacking and finding those important things (still searching for my daughter's mittens...). Our first furniture purchase was a couch (got tired of sitting on a wooden bench...). I understand what you are going through, now if I could only get the contractor to finish painting my bedroom... (why would you stop painting at three walls???). It sounds like you are enjoying the new wildlife. We have a great horned owl (surprisingly, no rabbits :hmm: ), two resident groundhogs, deer and wild turkey in our yard.

17. erich orser

Wow, Cuttlegirl, that sounds exactly like the place in MD. they've just left!

18. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

We had a scare day before yesterday, we saw a dead road runner on the street in front of our house and thought it was "our" road runner. This morning we saw "our" road runner in it's accustomed spot on the wall. It's horrible that someone hit a roadrunner, although it's understandable, since they dart around so fast. It's also bizarre that we could get so attached to a bird, who certainly hasn't acknowledged our presence, in less than a week. We had such great wildlife at our home in Md. Tons of different birds, bald eagle fledglings practicing take offs and landings from our tallest tree, ( as well as a 45 minute parental mating flight over head) red tailed hawk fledgelings (4 of them) practicing their pounces with a dead mouse provided by mom hawk, raccoons bringing their babies up on the deck to meet us, grey foxes waiting their turn to eat the dogfood we put out for the raccoons, skunks and opossums down by the wood pile, kestrels, great horned owls, wild turkeys, pileated woodpeckers as well as downeys, hairys, redbellies, flickers and yellowbellied sapsuckers. I was lucky enoughto have a chickadee hop into my hand to eat sunflower seeds and have a flying squirrel just glance over his shoulder while I stroked his back with one finger. Lots of other birds and mammals, including some deer who became altogether too fond of the plants in our front yard. I could never really begrudge them their goodies, because we got so much pleasure in watching them. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes visiting in our new, much smaller, and much more suburban yard, but I will definitely miss our old neighbors. Enjoy your critters, Cuttlegirl. They are so much fun to watch.

I'm suffering from sticker shock! A new washer and dryer, frontloading of course, because they are so much better re water and energy efficiency, a new bed, or at least the essentials. A head board can wait, but a really good mattress is a whole lot more expensive than it used to be. A new sofa and love seat, Dave got a new recliner, and I finally got a chair, (a lovely little club chair) that fits me. I am SO tired of my feet not touching the floor when I sit down, or perching on the front so they will. There's still stuff that we need, but that's a pretty good start. All of the pieces that they are replacing were so old that it would have been insanity to move them. Most of our furniture was older than a lot of the people on this site. We were really ready for some new stuff, but I'm not used to spending so much money in 2 days!
    I've spent very little time on line, but I have been reading most of the new posts, and trying to catch up with all the stuff that was posted while I was off-line, even if I haven't been responding to them yet. Your reprieve will be coming to an end soon...:twisted:

19. erich orser

Well, sorry you spent so much in one outing, but kinda glad you've finally got new furniture! When are you getting your first salt-water tank?

20. cthulhu77

Furniture??? Bed???? Aren't you supposed to get all of that stuff after you have your octo tank set up ??? :)