Sordes's amazing nautiloid models!

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
TONMO member Sordes has made some excellent clay models of nautiloids. Can't wait to see them painted!

Picture 1:

Several models of nautiloids I made some days ago. The inspiring examples for them were Endoceras, Orthoceras and Cyrtoceras. Stupidly the small details are very hard to see because the sculpting mass is very bright and reflects too much light when it's photographed.
Picture 2:

"Front view of the Nautiloid models"
Well I think they are brilliant! Well done Sordes!

Attachments

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Thank you very much!
They look still a bit boring in this unpainted version, perhaps I´ll make casts of them and that´s better when they´re still unpainted. I have plans to make some other models with mini-dioramas (similar to those of the Endoceras-model from Jeff Johnson) when I have more time.
By the way, they are like the Mesonychoteuthis and Dosidicus-model made of Fimo, a Sculpey-like modelling mass.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Thank you for posting the pictures Phil!

In fact the base with the corals and sponges was much more work than the nautiloid itself. If I find the time I´ll make bases for the other nautiloids too, and very probably other nautiloid models.

erich orser

Architeuthis
Supporter
Registered
Sordes, your work is beautiful. You're reminding me that I need to get back to work on my own projects.

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Here are several pictures from the sculpting-progress. At first I took a piece of wire and added some tin foil. Than I sculpted the shell and added surface-details before I hardened it. Then I scuplted the radula, baked it and aded the jaws to bake it again. The now hard jaw was attached to the head.

Attachments

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
The next step was the sculpting of the tentacles, which was much work because I had to add all the surface details at the inside and the outside. After that I attached the tentacles, sculpted the eyes, the siphon and at last the surface details of the rest of the head before it came in the oven. The last step was the sculpting of the cap on the head, which can be seen on the first pictures I uploaded.

Attachments

Phil

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Registered
Sir,

You are a genius! That orthocone looks absolutely fantastic in that diorama. You've painted it very well indeed. Love it.

By the way, some time ago Kevin posted some amazing information about patternation on these ancient nautiloids. I believe some incredibly preserved specimens have tracing of a zig-zag pattern on the shell as illustrated in some old engravings. I'm not sure where the old thread is, but it would be very interesting to see the images again. I wonder if that patternation has survived recent scientific scrutiny?

Please post the images of your painted models here too!

Sordes

Wonderpus
Registered
Hallo Phil, thank you very much for this compliments! I have also already read somewhere about the preserved colour pattern, which show brown or brown-reddish colours and those denticulated patterns. I have a book with wonderful illustrations by Burian (one of the best paleo-illustrators of all times) which shows some of the nautiloids with such patterns and colours.
If I would make the model again, I wouldn´t make such bulbous eyes (I have no idea why I did this) and would make it more like the last big model. But for the big model I needed 7 hours or so, and for this small painted model I needed only a half hour to sculpt it. I would also sculpt it without nautilus-eyes, and probably without a hood. The big model would surely look ways better than this one if I would paint it, but I would never use water colours, but only airbrush, what I don´t have.
Here are again the pictures from my blog, I made also two uploads in the gallery. The two upper pictures show how I photographed it in front of a book about prehistoric marine life, the one left below shows it painted but still without finish, and the one right below shows it with finish on the base.

Attachments

Members online

No members online now.