Something died!

Well, this is a real "dead" encounter... I was visiting my hometown of Port Orford, OR, last night and this morning went down to "Dock Beach," and found a big seagull party in the surf.

I pulled this fella out of the water and just had to take pics and share with you all... As size goes, I would say the head was about 18-20 inches long.

First Pic: The beach, about 3 hours before I found squidley...
dockbeach.jpg

The poor guy, dead in the surf after chasing off the birds:
asfound.jpg

asfound2.jpg

Turned over to see the suckers:
calamari.jpg

Relocated, perching on the nearby rock, and then battery died so couldn't take more. If you look back at the beach pic, it's the large low rock in the beach, near the dock:
ontherocks.jpg

Thanks for posting, those are very good pictures.

It looks like a GPO to me. The suckers are definitely octopus, not squid (no stalks, no toothed rings). I don't see any oversized suckers, so I'm pretty sure it's a female GPO.

Yeah, I should have got the pic of the seagull mob, but oh well.... No mistaking our fine Pacific Giant Octopus, nope! I thought it'd be fun to post and let someone else identify. And I just used the term "squidley" for fun. My dad used to bring these "bad boys" home in gunny sacks on occasion after going out crabbing and catching one in a pot.

You're siggy reminds me, I had originally shared the start of my novel here in the "Cthulhu" area.... I am back working on it again, and maybe oughtta post the subsequent chapters. Ya think? After all, I'm sure you'd like to see what's up with your old faculty colleague, Professor Ncklaus Schmitt, right? I made a few changes, placing the story in the real town (the port being shown in the pic above)... and bringing the setting to current day instead of late 1950s. I have the whole thing outlined, and am now getting started at putting the chapters into final format for publishing.

You will definitely get readers if you post a link.

Am I remembering right that the old prof had gone mad and there was something significant about a dream chaser given to a niece?

I'd certainly appreciate getting to read more of that story; I remember some of the plot, but I should go re-read if you're posting an updated version :read:

That's the story, yup.

Since you guys are Staff, I suppose I should ask... What should I do? Restructure the old thread, or start a new one? Chapters 1-4 are complete, and am developing the final formats of the rest.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back