Some random ceph photos

I was looking through one of the Archi threads and came upon a link on deep sea creatures.
These photographs were posted by members of site, which can be found here (page 1 and 2).
The site contains a link to here. Both of them contain photos of deep sea creatures, including cephs, which didn't have a ID, so I thought I'd save the pics and post them here. (I saved the pics since pointing the pics out on the original sites would be kinda hard)

(From left to right)

The first one looks as if the sucker tips are producing light, but that might be the camera and the background contrast...
The second one looks like a opened Archi (or some other kinda of large squid)
The third is what I presume a Magnapinnidae.

Always great to see these pics posted, Chrono! The top left is the antarctic "mystery squid" photographed last year by methinks a NOAA expedition, but let me check on that: no positive ID yet, even Steve didn't dare go beyond "a squid"...

I personally hold a strong Architeuthis bias for this one, romantic old soul that I am, but the apparent fusion of head and mantle speaks out firmly against that: that might be an artifact of limited resolution, however.... Or, there are bigger squid than Archi and Messie out there :shock:

Top middle is T. danae, the transparent bit being pulled out its gladius. You're absolutely right about top right and bottom left. Bottom middle is Lycoteuthis sp., bottom right a mangled specimen from a deep sea trawl, I'll look this particular species up on the web: Teuthowenia pellucida? :biggrin2:

Keep at it!

Cheers,

Olaf

Upvote 0
Re: T. danae
Then doesn't make it a very large T. danae?

And the mystery squid has more than a passing resemblance to the Giant Squid pictures from Japan, could it be a new Architeuthis species? Or perhaps not even a Archi?

Upvote 0
Hmm..then that makes it adult-ish size, doesn't it?

On another note, it seems that the scientists have opened the stomach and put its contents (3 fish) beside it, I suprised that such as large squid would go after these relatively small prey...

Edit: The bottom middle's photograph discription has confirmed it has a Lycoteuthis, the site which hosted this picture (first post, second link) says so.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back