• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Some Q's

Joost's reef

Hatchling
Registered
Hi,
I'm in progress of setting up a 34x55x12'' (about 100 gallons) look down SPS reef. I've recently fallen in love with cuttlefish, and have read a lot about them, but have some questions.
- The tank will be lit by 2x150W MH, I read somewhere intense lighting affects the eyesight resulting in a shorter lifespan?
- The tank is only 12'' high, enough, cuttle fish prefer high tanks?
- It will be a very high flow tank, any problems?
- Where in the SF bay area is the best place to buy cuttlefish eggs?

Thanks

-Joost

SPS required conditions and cuttlefish aren't a match made in heaven. I have a reef tank and I have to keep one of my 3 MHs on because I have kept my clam and it requires high lighting. I would be concerned about the high flow, I have done a fair bit of reading and asking a lot of questions and found that the powerhead can be a source of danger. The flow should typically be moderate to low, there are exceptions in that you may have adequate space in your tank that creates low flow areas. With all that said, you would more than likely have to have 1/2 the tank SPS and one MH going, especially in such a shallow tank. Will be a beautiful (sounds like it) SPS tank but not an ideal tank to combine SPS and cuttlefish. You didn't mention a skimmer or sump in your setup or a chiller. WIth the lights that close in a shallow tank I would think you will experience some heat spikes. Just my opinion - everybody has one. Can't help with where in the SF area to get cuttlefish eggs - perhaps someone else can chime in.

You didn't mention a skimmer or sump in your setup or a chiller.
I forgot to mention that the tank will be connected to a 40 gallon sump, and also connected to an 180 gallon apogon breeding setup. Large DIY skimmer, carbon, cryptic fuge, RDSB etc... So water quality definitely won't be a problem...
I have done a fair bit of reading and asking a lot of questions and found that the powerhead can be a source of danger.
All the flow is provided by closed loops, I'll make sure the overflow has some type of sponge on it.
Aren't cuttlefish nocturnal? I guess the huge tabling acro's will provide a lot of shade during the day. Moon lights and/or red light's would be cool for night viewing...
I would think you will experience some heat spikes.
First of all the light's will be hung fairly high (can't lookdown with lights right on top, and second chillers aren't really needed in SF.
adequate space in your tank that creates low flow areas.
Thanks for the tip I will definitely incorporate it in the flow pattern.

SPS required conditions and cuttlefish aren't a match made in heaven.
Are there any other concerns other than flow and light?

I have not kept SPS, only LPS, softies and leathers. If any of them are stinging corals they are not considered compatible. With regard to the closed loop - that is great, just need to be careful on the screen cover you use for the return flow. I have a 125 (6' long tank) and 3 150w lights above as well as 4 96w PCs. The lights are about 15 inches above the water and I have to run a chiller....I do live in AZ though. Your setup sound incredible - hope you post pictures.

Joost's reef;152683 said:
Hi,
I'm in progress of setting up a 34x55x12'' (about 100 gallons) look down SPS reef. I've recently fallen in love with cuttlefish, and have read a lot about them, but have some questions.
- The tank will be lit by 2x150W MH, I read somewhere intense lighting affects the eyesight resulting in a shorter lifespan?
- The tank is only 12'' high, enough, cuttle fish prefer high tanks?
- It will be a very high flow tank, any problems?
- Where in the SF bay area is the best place to buy cuttlefish eggs?

Thanks

-Joost

I got my eggs at Aquarium Concepts in Dublin, but they dont get them often at all. I know that Oceans Treasures in San Francisco can order them for you (ask for Dereck) and are probably your best bet.

So yes, you can keep them in with sps high flow, just as long as you give them spots with low flow to hang out in. Do they like high flow environments and would they be happy? Well, I wouldnt be happy if I only had say only 25% of the reef that I felt comfortable in. I've got good med hi flow in the top of my reef and chaotic low/med flow in the mid and bottom. They seem to do fine with that.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back