• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Some good news and some bad news

Rockthis11

Wonderpus
Registered
i just got my tank today :biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2: . I have just gotten done filling it up but when i measured the salinity/sg it was off the chart. So i took out 10% of the water and it is still the same. I am really confused and kinda freaking out :shock: because i want to mess it up.

ummm i feel really stupid but i realize i couldnt get it becausse i wasnt adding non salt water after taking out some salt water. It is perfect now but i do have one other question. I read that is as to be about 35-36 ppt (specific gravity around 1.024) but how can this be possible? 1.024 is lower on the scale than 35-36 so it couldnt possibly be both. Can someone help me?

Hi Rockthis,

You're making progress! So you did get your tank.

Glad the problem is resolved. Your sg at 1.024 is fine. Just stick with sg and forget salinity - you don't need both.

Will you be adding any live rock after the salt fully mixes and the tank settles down? What are your plans?

Nancy

Yes i have fully mixed my saltwater and the sg is 1.024 i am happy to say. I have just added my live rock and i made sure to include lots of hiding places for my soon to be octo. I am cycling it using damsels ( im not sure if it was such a good idea but i think it will be fine)/ The guy gave me these cubes full of brine shrimp and whe i put it in the water it thawed and sank to the bottem and the fish didnt eat ( i heard this is just cause the place is new and i shouldnt worry but i am just checking to make sure. There are 5 of them, 2 of them are grayish with a yellow tail, two are black and white striped and one is a domino. the ones with partners stay together and dont interact with each other at all. they stay at opposite sides of the tank (while the domino says alone in the middle) is this normal? Also, they stay towardds the motton and at one point i was worried it got stuck in the rock (it looked like it had wedjed itself in there). Is this all normal?
One more thing, now that i have my tank i will be having ALOT more questions :talker:

Hey Rt...
I have put some stuff into another thread of yours, and I am guessing that this is a somewhat older thread...but,
Whoever sold you this setup is waaaaaay rushing you through the cycle...I usually recommend setting a tank up for 2-3 days before adding anything, live rock or fish! On top of that, you would never need to feed the fish right away, and frozen brine shrimp is simply awful stuff...you can crash a tank in no time with that...it tends to sit at the bottom and rot away.
Don't give up, just find another store.
Greg

Glad to hear you're up and running. To add to the above comments: Watch out for those damsels. They're fine, it's just that they don't get along well with octos. Your octo MIGHT eat them, but they might instead harass or injure your octo.

rusty

I have had really good luck cycling with mollies...you can acclimate them to saltwater in the course of about 3 days, they breed well in the tanks (lots of food for octos) and are much less aggressive than damsels...the sailfin varieties seem to be the best.
Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back