Some Big Ones!

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
First pic is a large clam (Inoceramus), the hammer is about 33 cm long.

Then there is this nice large Placenticeras syrtale, about 47 cm.

While stepping back to take the next pic....

Attachments

• conv_302296.jpg
    conv_302296.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 172
  • conv_302297.jpg
    conv_302297.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 176
  • conv_302298.jpg
    conv_302298.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 155
I almost stepped on this one. Another P. syrtale, over 50 cm. The next pic shows them both. From the Middle Santonian, about 85mya. The first one I think is the male dimorph, with the stronger ornamentation, and the other larger, smoother one the female dimorph.

and finally a pic of the aspens turning gold.

Attachments

• conv_288413.jpg
    conv_288413.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 138
  • conv_288412.jpg
    conv_288412.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 157
  • conv_288411.jpg
    conv_288411.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 175
Stunning Kevin. I just can't believe such large and fantastic specimens are just lying there exposed like that; I guess it's just what one is used to.

Beautiful scenery too.

As you can see in this photo, only the "orange" part was exposed, the largest peice of rock that was covering the phragmocone is to the right. I didnt have a brush with me so I just wiped it of with my hand. Ants had built a nest under the other side so when I lifted it the other side was fairly clean (seen in the first post).
95% of the fossils in this formation are crushed or shattered so finding a good one is rare. On average there is a good fossil about every 2 miles along the outcrop.
I replaced this one as I had found it and covered it up a little, I will return to collect it later as a few museums here are after me to get them some nice fossils like these. :smile:

Attachments

• conv_288417.jpg
    conv_288417.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 187
Really beautiful finds, Kevin! Not to have you give away your exact location or anything, but could you give me a ballpark idea of where in the state you're digging? :ammonite:

With the Fossils and History Forum being kinda slow lately, i think i'll post some old photos. I found this one back in '91, a large Placenticeras syrtale from the Mancos Shale. A B&W photo of it after preparation, and a picture of it in the museum at the local university (lower right).

Attachments

• conv_289135.jpg
    conv_289135.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 163
  • conv_289136.jpg
    conv_289136.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 143
  • conv_289137.jpg
    conv_289137.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 160
My goodness, what a stunning specimen. Are all those in the museum yours Kevin?

I live not far away from the Suebian Alps, an area which is very rich in marine fossils, I´ve even found nice ammonites and other fossil invertebrates in the forest only some hundred metres away from here. Some years ago an expressway was built some miles away, and there were really masses of fossils, mostly ammonites in all sizes, but many of them were as large as dinner plates or even a bit larger. I have still some of them, the largest ones have a diameter of about 40cm or more.

Sordes said:
I have still some of them, the largest ones have a diameter of about 40cm or more.

Wow! Would there be any chance of you showing us some of them please? I'm sure we'd all very much like to see them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back