Some Amazing Fossil Reconstructions Right Here on TONMO

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
One of our new members has posted some truly marvelous reconstructions of ammonoids and nautiloids in our photo gallery. I just thought I would start a thread to draw attention to these.

They are here

I cant tell if they are sculptures or CG, whatever they are, they are great. :notworth:

Good job Eric, in fact, pretty freaking amazing. Truly high quality art. Any interest in showing off in person in Monterey in June?

Thanks for the great feedback.

I work in several medias to create paintings and sculptures. For painting I prefer oils. I also sculpt using oil based clay and cast in bronze. Recently I started using computer software that mimics sculpting in oil based clay and includes the ability to hand paint the finished digital sculpture. A majority of the images I posted here I sculpted and painted using software. I print them as posters (Most are printed in 18" x 24" or 20" x 16" formats) and I also make them into 3d bronze or resin sculptures that range in sizes up to life-size.

I would encourage any critiquing as I would appreciate any feedback as far as color or anatomy changes so that they are as accurate as possible. - Please private message or email me. Also Let me know if there are any species in particular you would like to see depicted.

I'm always open to showings

Your posters are beautiful, Eric.

So after you create them with this software, do you then create and print the poster, or do you make it into sculpture and then photograph and make the poster? Or both?

Nancy

Those are truly beautiful renders. I am speechless. There aren't much paleoartists who would bother to put much thought over an ammonite's possible ecological niche and morphology. Your designs are really awesome, maybe you should try to submit them to Discovery Channel's or National Geographic's next Walking With... installments (if there are any).

Which software do you use for these? ZBrush? Mudbox? Maya?

Keep up the good work :smile:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back