CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)

Attachments

• conv_305329.jpg
    conv_305329.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 142
Looks like the eye of a big billfish to me, namely a sword. Size and the grey color of the surrounding skin are good matches. Color, musculature and dimensional stability argue against ceph, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, it could mean that Sauron retired to Florida. :cyclops:

Clem

I've no idea one way or the other but what do you mean by dimensional stability?

I have a quick, highly unscientific, comparison to the eye of an Octopus bimaculoides hatchling in my Tupactopus album but will add it here too. Love the convergence if it is a Swordfish!

Attachments

• conv_300359.jpg
    conv_300359.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 119
I agree - it looks like the eyecup has cartilaginous support, so not floppy enough to be cephy. The lens size seems to large compared with the total volume of the eye, too. Cephs have rather small lenses, comparatively speaking.

A quick examination of the retina (if it's at all intact) would tell for sure. On gross structure, I don't think it's a cephalopod.

Funny how you don't think of the simplest of answers. :oops: I was wondering why the eyeball was not the first thing eaten when the fish died since it is a delicacy rarely missed:

In this case, he said, there was "clear human interaction", probably when fishermen aboard a boat dissected the dead fish and cut out the eye, intending to keep it as a souvenir.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back