• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Softball-sized eyeball washes up on Florida beach

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Doesn't seem cephy to me, but the article says it MAY be from a large squid. What'd you guys think its from?

Clem

Architeuthis
Supporter
Looks like the eye of a big billfish to me, namely a sword. Size and the grey color of the surrounding skin are good matches. Color, musculature and dimensional stability argue against ceph, I'm afraid.

On the other hand, it could mean that Sauron retired to Florida. :cyclops:

Clem

000generic

Cuttlefish
Registered
I've no idea one way or the other but what do you mean by dimensional stability?

I have a quick, highly unscientific, comparison to the eye of an Octopus bimaculoides hatchling in my Tupactopus album but will add it here too. Love the convergence if it is a Swordfish!

Attachments

robyn

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I agree - it looks like the eyecup has cartilaginous support, so not floppy enough to be cephy. The lens size seems to large compared with the total volume of the eye, too. Cephs have rather small lenses, comparatively speaking.

A quick examination of the retina (if it's at all intact) would tell for sure. On gross structure, I don't think it's a cephalopod.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Clem billfish is exactly what i was thinking as well. It also happens to be our time of the year for big swords down here.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Funny how you don't think of the simplest of answers. :oops: I was wondering why the eyeball was not the first thing eaten when the fish died since it is a delicacy rarely missed:

In this case, he said, there was "clear human interaction", probably when fishermen aboard a boat dissected the dead fish and cut out the eye, intending to keep it as a souvenir.

Members online

No members online now.