Socktopuses

Thanks to um... for making it transparent!

I've added the antithesis as well, which denotes a request to keep posts on topic... :smile:

:nofeet:

I must say I do like the new smilies, it's good to have a touch of humor on the boards but not too much if you know what I mean. :P
pardon me for using this smily for no reason since we are on topic but I want to give it a first try lol. :feet:

Well, we are not exactly on topic, now, ya know what I mean :wink: . Just for...well...nothing, S.toeailus is still on my foot, I didn't realise the marker was permanent. :?

Just one question: Why is the Tintenfisch Is Cruel To Me thread any more on-topic than the late lamented People's Feet thread? From what I can see, TTFICTM is mainly about Neil Diamond and has nothing whatsoever to do with Cephs. If that one is permitted to exist, why not PF?

:twocents: ,
Tani
President and Founder, PFIZER
("People's Feet" Is Zowie and Endures, Regardless)

Fully valid point, Tani. That, and "Yawl", and many, many others (I believe all are in Octopus' Den) currently fall under the same umbrella.

Without going into a long(er) justification, at this point, I'll chalk it up to timing -- this had to happen one way or another, and People's Feet was in the wrong place at the wrong time. i.e., because of its high activity at the time, it attracted negative attention from a community that was growing increasingly aware that our collective focus was drifting away. Several comments, from "newbies" and long-timers (such as yourself) alluded to the fact that recent TONMO.com community discussions were increasingly drifting away from cephs.

It's the people that make TONMO.com what it is, so banter and unveiling of personalities are enthusaistically encouraged, as they have ever been. However, not at the expense of the subject matter that brought us together in the first place. For waaayyyyyy off-topic seed posts, going forward, they are encouraged, but should be relegated to the Supporters' forum.

For all the rest of the historical threads here in the Octopus' Den and elsewhere in the public forums, I think they're fine as an historical record, and if they themselves become an issue (through increased activity) they'll be managed accordingly. People's Feet was capped because it was continuing without end; and was even migrating far off the trail of feet for goodness sake, and, it wasn't founded on anything cephy. As I said in an earlier post somewhere, I considered moving it to the Supporters' forum, but that wouldn't be fair to the non-Supporter participants.

If TONMO.com were not a managed community, obviously none of this would be an issue. But, for better or worse (and I'd happily argue it's for better), it's a managed community. I've been part of lots of communities, and have literally managed dozens, and TONMO.com is the best I've seen. It doesn't take much to knock an online community back on its heels, and in fact it takes a lot to keep it standing. That's a collective effort; we all do our part in making it work!

tonmo said:
As I said in an earlier post somewhere, I considered moving it to the Supporters' forum, but that wouldn't be fair to the non-Supporter participants.

Poor non-Supporters, they're going to miss out on some great lunacy. :wink:

Well, here's good news for Supporters anyway: Hie thee to the Supporters Forum where awaits my new thread, "People's Feet, the Forum That Will NEVER DIE!!!!!!!" (Title copycatted from TTF)

Let's get this show on the road again!

:biggrin2:

um... said:
Poor non-Supporters, they're going to miss out on some great lunacy. :wink:
Yeah, I mean, to elaborate, if I posted pictures of my feet (or any commentary really) in a public forum, and then had my own comments (or photos of my feet heaven forbid) moved behind a for-pay only wall, I might not take too kindly to that. "You mean now I gotta pay to see what people think of my feet??" :goofysca:

That's funny, the Tanster stole my idea (the :wink: in my earlier post). She did a better job than I would've, though, so it's all good.

I'm going to post there a lot. :twisted:

Joel, can you speak nicely to your folks .... maybe they'll help you out. They've got to be pretty impressed with & proud of you; it's Xmas coming up; maybe this could be a pre-Xmas treat (and you could ask them for the real giant/colossal squid next year :wink: ).
O

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back