SoCal meeting

SanClementeEric;101112 said:
Of course that's a wrong Sunday for me, but I'll try to switch my day with someone and try to make it too.

Note that the only reason I chose the 23rd is that there's a chance Erich could make it... I'm happy to try a different Sunday (or even another day) if that's better, particularly if we find out Erich can't make it. Although seeing Erich is always fun, so if we can get him there, I'll be psyched! Anyway, anyone named Eric, Erich, Erik, or Erica, be extra sure to let us know your schedules!

Of course, we don't know when Hallucigenia is away or not, so even though you're not named Eric(h) let us know if the 23rd works for you, too...

Anyone else interested? I haven't seen Rona post since TONMOCON I, but I know there are some other SoCal folks about....

Another coastal (although not so close to Long Beach) possible destination is Jurassic Gallery - Dinosaur Fossil display Specimens for your Home

I just visited there on Friday, and they have a number of cool ceph (and other) fossils... I confirmed that they are open on Sundays, but that it's best to call ahead, since their hours are irregular.

Just a thought... of course, there is a danger; I spent $100 I probably shouldn't have on something I think is a nautiloid...

The 23rd might work for me. I was supposed to work that weekend (our grant renewal deadline is the following tuesday, which makes that "panic weekend"), but I think we decided we're trading off on shifts and such. Maybe I can take Saturday and my coworker can take Sunday. I'll find out more later this week.

Is this still a plan? There's been resounding silence lately... I'm still "all systems go" for the 23rd.

If I ask nicely, will people RSVP "yes, no, maybe, sorry-I'm-in-Auckland?"

Any chance of getting behind-the-scenes tours at the aquarium? Should we schedule some time for show-and-tell? Do people have favorite restaurants or pubs around there? I don't want to exclude underage folks by going to pubs or vegetarians by going to Bob's House of Meat or anything, of course.

I've also wondered if it's worth PMing some of the SoCal folks who haven't chimed in, or if that's more pushy than helpful... so I'm bumping the thread instead for now...

23 still not great for me, but maybe I can try something. Rebecca has made plans for that night. I'd really like to make this, but it's ultimately going to come entirely down to my better-half.

I will be a maybe up until the 22nd. I just don't know how badly I'm gonna be needed around here that day. As far as places to eat and such, Shoreline village is just a short walk away from the LB aquarium and has a restaurant/bar or two, and it can be kind of fun to stop by the frozen yogurt place, grab a cone, and watch rich people crash their boats into a downwind dock.

Downtown and the Pike are real close too, but I've never eaten around either of those places. I usually just hit the McD's on the PCH on the way in, bring a sandwich for lunch, and grab dinner at Shoreline village. Don't know what's in the San Pedro area across the bridge as far as food goes. I've only ever been there long enough to spend an hour or two at the aquarium or maritime museum, then head back over to long beach.

BTW: if you don't plan to leave long beach and you find some cheap parking somewhere, they've got an excellent free public transportation system (Pine Ave Link and Passport busses). Google it if yer interested.

In case anyone's wondering, the weird "unprecedented" unseasonal storm that's supposed to hit us on Friday is also supposed to be cleared up by Sunday. I wonder if that'll cause big waves that will make more interesting stuff in tidepools? Or it might wash everything that doesn't have a good hold on the rocks out to sea, I guess...

edit: I fergot ta scribe this post for talk like a pirate day. There's a mighty gale a-blowin' that'll rattle yer cutlass on Friday! Batten the hatches and reef the sails! But we'll have clear skies and fair seas come Sunday for our shore leave.

Where are ye mates planning to go tidepooling? The nearest good tidepools are in the San Pedro/Rancho Palos Verdes area... I don't recall much in the way of life (except mussels and an occasional sea hare) near Long Beach.

White Point in San Pedro is a good choice, there is a parking lot, and the walk to the tidepools is not too far. If you take Western Avenue to the end, turn left and then turn right on Kay Fiorentino Dr. There is a parking lot and a path to the tidepools. Wish I could join you...

cuttlegirl;101796 said:
Where are ye mates planning to go tidepooling? The nearest good tidepools are in the San Pedro/Rancho Palos Verdes area... I don't recall much in the way of life (except mussels and an occasional sea hare) near Long Beach.

White Point in San Pedro is a good choice, there is a parking lot, and the walk to the tidepools is not too far. If you take Western Avenue to the end, turn left and then turn right on Kay Fiorentino Dr. There is a parking lot and a path to the tidepools. Wish I could join you...

White Point is the ones I was thinking of trying, but I'm open to other suggestions...

If you are up for a bit of a hike, you could try the tidepools at Paseo Del Mar. You park along Paseo del Mar and then follow a long dirt path, take the left branch at the top of the cliffs down to the tidepools. It is more isolated than White Point (fewer people), but definitely not for the faint of heart, it is a rather long hike back up... I have found fossils (mostly pieces of whale bone) there too.

er, although the response has been underwhelming, I'm at least coordinating with marinebio_guy tomorrow morning... have any of the other "maybes" decided anything?

I guess since my phone #s are on the web anyway, I'll post them here:

home 626-798-1692 (try this first, 'cause I have no cell reception)
cell 626-695-1280 (for coordinating on the road)

I have marinebio_guy's cell #, but I don't have permission to post it, but I'll be coordinating the details in the morning (I'm guessing around 9 or 10am)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back