So here's what happened...

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by tonmo, Aug 7, 2005.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Ok... I just got back to my room, which is across the street from the Crown & Anchor, which is where we went after the event.

Can't post all about it now, but I will say that it was A W E S O M E.

The convention itself was fascinating -- the content was incredible. Videos, information, pictures, Big Red, stickers.... All the presenters pretty much knocked everyone's socks off.

The convention hall was pretty much ideal, I'd say. The air was a bit stuffy in the afternoon, but whatever. Not a big deal. The layout and facilities were great.

I videotaped a bunch of stuff, but not everything due to copyright concerns. I should have some great video and pictures to post, as should others. Give me a couple/few days.

Oh, and toward the end of the convention, something awful happened. It was terrible. It was just awful. So terrible and heartless. Why?

Then, the Crown and Anchor. What a crowd. It was really a great experience meeting these people. Tomorrow, Dr. Gilly invited us to visit his lab, believe it or not. So the events aren't over yet!

Erich Orser and Melissa are incredible people for doing all they did on this. Too many thank-yous to dole out right now, though. Plenty of thank-yous are due.

To everyone reading this who couldn't be there -- you were missed!!!

2. tonmo

Jared, A rabid squid, monty, cthulhu77, erich orser, melissa, righty, wm gilly, fujisawi sake, rona, cephkid, chrono war, pipsquek, kimberly haas, shepmoon, squidman, purple tentacle.... were all among the TONMO.com community members on hand. Who am I missing?

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for the first report, Tony! Glad it went so well.

Wish you had time to say more and can't wait until you post some of the photos and videos.

Nancy

4. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

What a great freakin' day

TONMO prom king and queen!

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

He came!!!
    So sorry I missed cthulhu! He must come to the next Tonmocom, too.

Nancy

6. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

I'm glad you all had a great time. Cthulhu came too? I hope you got his autograph; that's quite rare, it'll go for a wad on e-Bay!

Look forward to the pics.

7. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

I'm glad everything's going well... Someone better send me a free shirt :heee:

Eh? What's this about?

8. Jared

Jared Cuttlefish Registered

It was great to meet you all. I wish I could have stuck around for diner but I had to get back up to Santa Cruz. Thanks for an informative and all around swell time.

9. Thales

Thales Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

joel,

Thats about the Prom King showing up!

Mighty Cthulhu will be displeased with you! May you be the last of his followers to be eaten!

:D

10. CapnNemo

CapnNemo Vampyroteuthis Supporter

I was right about the trap laid by Cthulhu acolytes! I warned ye all!

11. tonmo

Sure thing! Just replace the word "free" with "paid for", and we'll set you right up. :wink:

12. CapnNemo

CapnNemo Vampyroteuthis Supporter

So what happened??? Was it the arrival of the GC Himself?, I must say, he looks bigger on TV :confused:

13. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Wow, wow, and more wow...that is how it went !!! The footage of feeding Humbolt's...walking baby cuttles...amazing, all.

Just woke up after the trip back, what a *&**** drive that was, but will try to post some pics soon.

Tony and Company put on a first class show, and it was one fun time !!! I thought that the people here on Tonmo were cool just from the posts and emails, but in person they are even greater !!! To those of you who didn't make it, we really missed you, and everyone was talked about in great detail. Were your ears burning???
    greg

14. PurpleTentacle

PurpleTentacle GPO Supporter

I had a great time, and so did the three who came along with me. If I were wearing socks, they would most certainly have been knocked off. I wish I could have stuck around for drinks at the Crown and Anchor, not to mention that Hopkins tour, but I had to be at a wedding in Rancho Palos Verdes at 10 o'clock the next morning and we figured we had better get going.

We passed the time on the drive back to Santa Barbara by discussing what we would do with a cuttlefish tank, an ROV, an AUV, an HD video camera, the $13,000 laser plotter sitting in the MBARI hallway, a 30-foot deep swimming pool with windows, and a giant Cthulhu costume. We basically decided we're really gonna need all of that stuff.

Many thanks to Melissa, Tony, Erich, and anyone else who helped organize this. Also, many thanks to all of the presenters. Great stuff!

15. tonmo

Boy, do I hate my camcorder. I have a bunch of video, but the filesize does not compress and the files are enormous. i.e., 1.5 gigabytes for a 3-minute clip!) There's no way I can post that. Am researching this, hope to resolve.

16. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

That was interesting, watching the technophiles working on the dig stuff for the talks...you guys have a lot of bells and whistles!!!! Especially Melissa...jeez !!!! green with envy,
    greg

17. tonmo

Ok, I was going to originally put this up as a post, but it got too long, so now it's an article --

[URL2=http://www.tonmo.com/tonmocon/tonmocon.php]Here's my account (with pics!)[/URL2]

18. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Thanks for the great account! It sounds like it was a terrific convention, and I'm green with envy. :cthulhu: Big Red is awesome! :notworth:
    Sorseress

19. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Thanks for the run down totally TOTALLY jealous!!!

J

20. pipsquek

pipsquek Wonderpus Supporter

Tony, could you please try to find a picture of me in that video that is just a little MORE GOOFY looking?? :roll: Thanks for posting the video, I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, and probably won't, but I'll be glad to tell everyone about it.