so happy

WOW!!! what a cool looking Octopus. some much to comment on. first the arm size to mantle ratio. The arms seem both really long and thick when compared to the mantle. Cool! then the texture in the first pic is great! Cooler!! Thanks for sharing.

yes ohno has that pattern on mantel most of time not sure if it is on both sides i was not looking was just amazed at watchin him but i have a few more pics i will post and will try to get a better look today he don't seem to b shy

ohno was out for a stroll today he seems to be doing fine but have a few questions i gave him a half of a frozen shrimp mid size once a day is this enough and also can anyone id him for sure thanks for all the help

I'm still thinking aculeatus but the mantle mark is unusual. Look for a star around the eyes, little horns to popup over the eyes and some very interesting bumps all over the skin (even more dramatic than in the last photo) as it shows various camo techniques. Both hummelincki and aculeatus have a brown that turns purple under actinic (definitely not hummelincki). I have a starfish that will do that as well but not all browns reflect this way.

To try to sex Ohno, watch for enlarged suckers on any of the first four arms and for the third arm to the right (clockwise) to be curled much of the time. If you note these two features, Ohno will be male. Other than a bloated mantle just before egg laying, we don't have a lot of identifying characteristics for a female other than the absence of the male traits.

day 3 and all is well he found a new den and as far as the star around the ey yes it is there as well as the spike above have not got a real good look at the suckers he don't go on the glass very often going to get some live food for him today but still want to no about how much food a day ?

Roy observed and noted extended longevity on a bimac by feeding every 3rd day and offering multiple crabs and suspects that overfeeding may shorten their life span but gauging how much is an individual animal effort. CaptFish's Leggs is a pigglet and consumes mass quantities where three of my briareus ate a quarter of what she comsumes, Puddles (Macropus complex) and Sleazy (mercatoris) eat every other day and have no interest in food on off days. When CaptFish tried to cut back on Leg's food consumption, she became aggressive to him and her tankmates.

If you feed frozen it is a good idea to have a couple of live meals a week. Fiddler crabs are the most common live food that seem to be accepted by all octopuses but shrimp and crayfish (limited as these are freshwater and will not live in SW for long) and occassional bivalve mollusks (clams, oysters, mussels - these need to be monitored and removed quickly if not eaten) are all acceptable live foods. Thawed frozen fishmarket shrimp is the most common staple. I have found that size often matters with the frozen shrimp (but not with the live) so I would recommend offering smaller pieces (starting with 1/2 - 3/4 inch pieces), wait an hour and see if Ohno is still hungry on the days you feed.

well just fed him and also have some crabs in the tank for treats but if i give him half of a frozen shrimp he eats most of it then what little is left he carries it to the other side of tank and gets red of it also wanted to mention that i have a damsel in the tank and it is real small but is always right where ohno is is this going to b a probelem

jblystone;152124 said:
.... also wanted to mention that i have a damsel in the tank and it is real small but is always right where ohno is is this going to b a probelem

There is a good chance we will end up be octo food, but another consideration is that Damsels can be pretty mean little guys, and you dont want it pestering and stressing your octo.

Congratulations on Ohno! I've kept a few different aculeatus (or at least members of the abdopus complex) and I agree with D! I also think the ring on the side of the mantle is odd, I'd love to see a clearer shot of that, but there are many members of the abdopus group and they are hard to tell apart. I always had good luck feeding them live hermit crabs and stick feeding raw shrimp. I fed every other day and alternated feedings between live and raw. I feed my briareus that way, too. I think they get the benefit of being social but also being able to hunt down live prey. Good Luck!

See if it is on both sides. That will tell more about what it might be. It could be damaged skin that has healed but lost the ability to color or, if on both sides, somthing interesting about the species.

well its day 4 and my little buddy is still fine im tryin to keep everyone posted day by day for the first week as from what i read that seems to be the most cretical time for one in a new tank i got a look at ohno's suckers yesterday and did not see any oversized ones so thinkin its a girl good thing the name can go boyh ways

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back