• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Snowflake eel

Omega

GPO
Registered
I'm getting help setting up my first saltwater tank from my lfs. They don't sell octopi but since I was going to wait a while before I got one I was wondering if a snowflake eel would be too large to keep and would eat an octopus once I get one 5 or 6 months down the road. They have at least one eel in stock and it caught my eye =].

edit::never mind found another post dealing with this, sorry didn't find it when I searched

I don't know what you found, but from what I'm reading, it appears ribbon eals may do well with octos, however if there were any eel I would NOT put with an octo or any small fish, it would be a snowflake. They are the most most likely to go after a fish, ime.

yes thats what I found, best avoid eels altogether it seems..don't want to get anything that may hurt my future octo or that I may have to get rid of down the road

Read my post "Octo, Eel, Shark" - I had both a Snowflake and a Ribbon Eel. The Snowflake is for sure a no no. They are VERY aggressive towards octopus. The Ribbon Eel on the other hand is no problem at all (at least for me). The Octopus seems to interact with it (pushes it out of its sleeping area gently) and never has been aggressive with the eel at all. The Eel is totally non aggressive, if I did not hand feed it every 3 days it would not survive. It seems to not be able to catch fish on its own (not too bright).

Not to go against the grain here but i have a snowflake eel, a dwarf cuttle, and a blue ring octopus, all in the same tank. They all seem to be unintrested in one another. I'm not an expert, but through my personal experience, no problems. I just drop a few crab in a day and they all get their fill and seem happy.

rbrthh;146969 said:
Not to go against the grain here but i have a snowflake eel, a dwarf cuttle, and a blue ring octopus, all in the same tank. They all seem to be unintrested in one another. I'm not an expert, but through my personal experience, no problems. I just drop a few crab in a day and they all get their fill and seem happy.

Well i hope you make a journal.

I have been trying my best, but with my schedule it's proving difficult. I work 12 hour shifts, working nights to top it off. I'm thinking of setting up a video camera during the day to watch their activity though. Also this is the first time i have ever tried to keep a journal on my tank so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to everyone on this site by the way, with out all of you i would never have reached my dream of owning any ceph's.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back