Snowball (hummelincki?)

I got him from a local member, Greeleeman. Sadly, this is the only one he had and he was looking to find him a new home due to him moving. I do think we will get along nicely, as he seems to be a real joker. He has acted funny when he was showing his discontent for the shimp I offered him, throwing it around. That sucks your tank is bare, but I hear this is a hard time of the year to find them, I just got really lucky I guess.

I think in the second picture you can see the blue ring. So i think snowball is a hummelinki. I will let the pros confirm though.

Just curious do you guys get any good tide pools in florida? If so have you ever gone tide pooling for any octos?

Yeah, I have never gone tide pool hunting but I really want to go one day. I was thinking how big do hummelinckis grow to be? I have it in a 55gallon, right now he seems very small.

He/She will grow to fit your tank pretty well, there shouldn't be any problems with tank size. D will surely step in and talk about size.

Well, I just couldn't resist taking a picture of him, He is so cool! He even used the den I made for him out of a plant pot (got the idea from nancy and colins book)

EYE.jpg

Just checked on the little bugger, He seems to be doing fine but he is still in his pot cave. After class I went and picked up some frozen krill shrimp for him but he doesn't seem to care for them. I guess i will try ghost shrimp or something....

So you say its goingn to be about a week before he comes out? I hope so, I have tried many diffrent foods so far but nothing works. I saw him peeking his eye out at me today when I was checking the water. I put a ghost shrimp on a bamboo spear stick and danced it around the front of his den, after about a min he showed some intrest and fliped out a few tenticles and grabed it. He then threw it out of the hole, so I tried again and it was starting to seem like a game of tag or something because he would only touch it then retract his arm. After that I stoped and he moved more of his body out the den than ever before and made eye contact with me. Hopefully he will come out all the way soon, I imagine it would feel good to take a stroll and streach those tentacles.....

Try live crab (fiddler or mithrax) and thawed shrimp (the kind you eat). If you are using ghost shrimp from an LFS they are likely fresh water shrimp rather than the marine variety.

Thanks for the advice mr. D. I offered him some cocktail shimp and he pulled it in his pot house and is currently munching away, strange though because I tried the same thing the first day I had him but he didn't want it. I also bought 2 small fiddler crabs and put them in the tank for extra. He still has not come out of his house yet but he is poking his eye out more and more.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back