• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

snails and starfish in coldwater

matt

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi,

Has anyone ever had any problem keeping snails or starfish in an octopus tank at 68F? I keep turbo snails and hermit crabs in my sump/refugium and the last two times I have bought snails, a couple of them die after a few days (I buy them a dozen at a time). The hermit crabs are all fine. The ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are zero and the salinity is 1.024. The only thing I can think of is my water temp and the salinty. The LFS keeps their temp @ 77F and the salinity at 1.021 (they say the tank is less prone to disease at this level). I do acclimate them for an hour or so. As for the starfish, I would like to put one in the tank for cleanup if they are ok with 68F. I am very happy to say my bimac, Ringo, is doing very well. He is one of the Fish Supply sibblings.

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt,
Keeping your tank at 68 degrees is very good for your bimac.
I just looked up a number of species of starfish and snails, and many of these need warm water. However, if you do some research, you'll find species of both starfish and snails that can live in the cooler temperatures - you might have to special order these.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back