Smart Mr. Octopus

With my black background they remind me of a starry sky.
I kinda like them....as long as they dont cause any long term problems.
Would these be considered filter feeders?

Thanks everyone!

Jennifer,
It looks like you may have corrected a long held belief :oops: ! After viewing the link I wanted to compare the shells with those of pods and could not find any type of pod (cope or amphi) that produces a shell for its young (so much for educated LFS's). The shells I always have are usually more c shaped but some are spiral. I have lots of the larger, inch size tube worms but now I am not at all confident about the wall dwellers (other than that they are not harmful) because of their shape and the fact that I can't quite see well enough even with a low powered magnifying glass to determine if there are any "feathers"

THANKS!

dwhatley;93408 said:
Jennifer,
It looks like you may have corrected a long held belief :oops: ! After viewing the link I wanted to compare the shells with those of pods and could not find any type of pod (cope or amphi) that produces a shell for its young (so much for educated LFS's). The shells I always have are usually more c shaped but some are spiral. I have lots of the larger, inch size tube worms but now I am not at all confident about the wall dwellers (other than that they are not harmful) because of their shape and the fact that I can't quite see well enough even with a low powered magnifying glass to determine if there are any "feathers"

THANKS!

Copepods usually carry their eggs with them, next to their tails. I am not sure about amphipods...

Jenn,
This is what I found out when I went looking! I did find some amphipods that make some kind of "silk" house. Most of them bury in the substrate but some will make their homes on "hard surfaces" and expose only thier antennea (which could look like duster feathers).

The little "shells" I see most often are more "C" shaped than fully spiral and I can't see if there is a "feather" sticking our or not even with my magnifying glass so I continue to do research. I really feel rather dumb at this point since this was one of those things I have "known" for a long time :sad:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back