• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Smallest Tank for any type of Octo?

pimp4cheddar

Hatchling
Registered
Hey folks,

I'm a longtime lerker and finally joined up.

I've been in SaltWater/Reef tanks for over a year and I've recently purchased a second tank.

I brought a 6 gallon Fluval Edge.

I've been looking for something rare and different to place in the tank, but after reading it seems like a pus would be too much for such a small tank.

Most of the sticky's say at least 30 gallons with good filtration because they produce major waste.

My question is...is there any type of pus I can keep in my small tank? I was at a LFS and he tried selling me some type of Mimic for $50 and said it'll be perfect in my tank...I felt like spitting in his face for the bold face lie...

Anyway folks, don't flame...as I've read a ton on this site prior to posting this.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

Pygmies such as O. bocki, O. wolfi, O. mercatoris could live in a 6 gal. well cycled and stable system. You may need to do partial water changes more frequently than usual, but most of our research animals (Hapalochlaena) are kept in 5-10 gal. systems.

I haven't seen the Fluval Edge, so you should make sure that the lid is tight fitting and that there is a way to keep the animal from entering the filter (foam or mesh).

Roy

O. chierchiae gets as large as the species I mentioned above. There are many other dwarfs and pygmies (we tend to use these terms interchangeably) such as O. micropyrus, O. fitchi, A. abaculas, that I have kept in 5-10 gal. systems. These are generally secretive animals that live in rocks and rubble and that do not need a lot of roaming room. There are really two issues here, the water requirements based on food consumption, and the need for the animal for space to move. The water quality issue is based partly on mass and metabolism (but also on eating habits and diet) and can be controlled through good tank maintenance. The space issue depends on behavior and type of habitat occupied. Here you have to rely on trial and error - or hopefully other peoples experience - hence one of the reasons we have this forum.

Roy

I see...

The only reason I asked is because this tank is kept at my job and I figured something unique would be perfect...I've always wanted to keep an Octo and Eel...

Below are pics of my tank currently...I threw out the rock and simply have a cycled tank along with live sand....

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1267.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

DSCF1226.jpg

As you can see...the tank is fully inclosed and pretty sleek.

There's a nice filter in the spine of the tank and I'm running carbon...actually I could run a nice chunk of carbon. I do water changes weekly and that's not a problem since the tank is 2 feet from me Monday-Friday...

Any idea where I can possibly find a pigmy specsis of an Octo like the ones you mentioned?

Thanks,

I think that mercatoris's are the easiest to get. Reefscavengers.com has what I think may be mercatoris however they are nocturnal as are most dwarf species.

Note that Neogonodactylus mentions that any octopus that might find a tiny environment suitable will not likely be social. My mercs actually used every bit of their 15 gallon but did not need more. There were two in the tank but it was the swimming room that I saw them utilize. At present, these are the only dwarf we commonly see and keeping them in an office (unless you work evenings with the lights out) means you won't likely see them at all.

Something like a mantis shrimp might be cool in that tank but Roy would need to advise on which species could be housed and would come out. There are several other small, no so famous, shrimp that are very entertaining that you might consider. My banded rules the 140 and thinks he is King Kong.

Sounds good...

Looks like I'll be passing on a small Octopus.

I would like the little guy to be active and swimming around...but I'm stick between a small tank and a nightowl of an Octopus.

Thanks folks, I appreciate the replies...but I don't want to house something that may not be able to swim and move freely. I guess it's back to an Angler/Frogfish or some pretty marine fish!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back