smaller species

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Manny
I reckon you'll need to either order one online or get a local shop to get one in for you. the last I heard captive breds will be available in late January- February so the word will be on here :)

C

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi JJ,
Back to the previous question- the size of a full grown bimac.
Cephalopods: A World Guide gives the size of a bimac as about 4 1/2 inches for body length, and 14 inches for the legs (I'm converting roughly from cms). Perhaps someone who has raised a bimac to full adulthood in an aquarium can comment on whether they reach this size in captivity.

As for escaping, bimacs have a reputation for being less prone to escape than many other species of octopuses - BUT, at least two people reported bimac escapes last year: one into the sump and the other right onto the floor. In both cases the octos were found in time and survived. So, take precautions!

Hope that helps

Nancy

reefan

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the info. I am very intersted in keeping a bimac. I think it will be orderdered a little after christmas from that pet place. I was planning on a 30 gallon but it sounds like 40-50 may be better. Sounds like my room needs some orginization! One last thing if you dont think 40 or 50 gallons is suffecient let me know. Happy Holidays Thanks again everyone
JJ

reefan

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks one more question please dont hate me for it but in another post you said bimacs dont need heaters. What is there ideal temp? If i need a chiller the bimac species may be out because i am in high school and the cost is a little crazy. The car found has already been reduced significantly!
Thanks again colin
JJ

reefan

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
ps I have found these creatures have a way of making me feel very stupid and most of my other reefing experences no longer matter its a whole different ball game with them. Dad still says when i get one it will escape or die within a month. Ill show him !!!!!!!!

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Colin may have more exact information, but I have read that bimacs tolerate room temperature. This doesn't include an 85 degreee summer temperature, if you don't have air conditioning. Maybe 65 degrees up to 72 or 73 is a good range to aim for.

Nancy

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, the bimac could go down to about 60degF and upto 75deg F without any bother. But the cooler it is the longer it will live.

C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dona

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards