smaller species

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by reefan, Dec 20, 2002.

1. reefan

reefan Blue Ring Registered

Hello I am new to this site and keeping octopi but I am very interested in doing it. I have experence with keeping reef tanks a 210,70,and soon to be 20. I was always wanting to keep a octopus just have not had the ambition. I am intereseted in having a small species. Somthing that could live in the range of 10-30 gallons. I am also looking for a warm water species due to funds. And if anyone knows a good site for buying a octopus that would be helpful. I've had my eyes open for one at that pet place. Thanks for the help
    JJ

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Hi there RR!

Welcome! I notice you mentioned you've been looking at Pet Place! Well, if you saw my pictures and posts about Hermin, that's where he came from! We were on vacation, always stop at that Pet Place, saw this tiny little bimac, and came back 1 week later to buy him! I know you can call them and request things. Anyway, I've had Hermin about 4 months now and he's a very healthy, curious and ravinous little octo! I would recommend keeping your eye out there!!!

Carol :D

3. reefan

Thanks for the reply carol. I am fortunate enough to live only 15 minutes away from that pet place. Anyway you said that your octo was great what was his species? Any other species recomendations that could live in a 10-30 gallon. Thanks
    JJ

4. reefan

Sorry just saw you said your octo was a bimac. Missed that at first. Anyway could you give me a few characteristics of this species also?
    Thanks again
    JJ

5. corw314

If you look at Hermin's pictures in the photo section of this board, you will see two blue dots on either side of his mantle(?). (or at least one) I do believe the bigger the tank the better off you are. My bimac is in a 44 gal pentagon. Check out the equipment list on this site also!

You're lucky to be so close to the shop! Takes us 2 hours to get there!

Carol

6. reefan

Thanks for the info Carol. Hermin sounds great. About how big is he. How large do you expect one of his species to grow? Do you know of any other species that stays small and does well in captivity?
    Thanks a bunch
    JJ

7. corw314

Well... I believe Colin and Nancy are the experts on species..... But I do know Bimacs stay smaller that some of the others. When I bought Hermin, his mantle was about 1" in length. Now he's about 3" and thats in 4 months. Legs have to be about 7" (?) or more???

He is quite the charactor, although he has been startled twice, with a little inking.

Carol

8. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

People keep bimacs because they are relatively small and make good pets. They are now being captive bred, so you don't have to get one caught in the wild.

Yes, There are many smaller octopuses (including pygmy octopuses), but I think you'd enjoy having a bimac more. And sometimes its hard to find other species, or the octopus for sale is not identified as to species.

And yes, Carol, Hermin is going to keep growing a bit!

Nancy

9. reefan

Thanks for the info! Sorry for all the questions but one more. How big will a Bimac be at full size? And how has yours been for escape attempts?

10. manny

manny O. bimaculoides Registered

does anybody know were you can get a captive bread bimac , or even other captive bread octopus preferably oround New York City?

11. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi Manny
    I reckon you'll need to either order one online or get a local shop to get one in for you. the last I heard captive breds will be available in late January- February so the word will be on here :)

C

12. Nancy

Hi JJ,
    Back to the previous question- the size of a full grown bimac.
    Cephalopods: A World Guide gives the size of a bimac as about 4 1/2 inches for body length, and 14 inches for the legs (I'm converting roughly from cms). Perhaps someone who has raised a bimac to full adulthood in an aquarium can comment on whether they reach this size in captivity.

As for escaping, bimacs have a reputation for being less prone to escape than many other species of octopuses - BUT, at least two people reported bimac escapes last year: one into the sump and the other right onto the floor. In both cases the octos were found in time and survived. So, take precautions!

Hope that helps

Nancy

13. reefan

Thanks everyone for the info. I am very intersted in keeping a bimac. I think it will be orderdered a little after christmas from that pet place. I was planning on a 30 gallon but it sounds like 40-50 may be better. Sounds like my room needs some orginization! One last thing if you dont think 40 or 50 gallons is suffecient let me know. Happy Holidays Thanks again everyone
    JJ

14. Colin

40 - 50 gals will do fine :)

15. reefan

Thanks one more question please dont hate me for it but in another post you said bimacs dont need heaters. What is there ideal temp? If i need a chiller the bimac species may be out because i am in high school and the cost is a little crazy. The car found has already been reduced significantly!
    Thanks again colin
    JJ

16. reefan

ps I have found these creatures have a way of making me feel very stupid and most of my other reefing experences no longer matter its a whole different ball game with them. Dad still says when i get one it will escape or die within a month. Ill show him !!!!!!!!

17. Nancy

Hi,

Colin may have more exact information, but I have read that bimacs tolerate room temperature. This doesn't include an 85 degreee summer temperature, if you don't have air conditioning. Maybe 65 degrees up to 72 or 73 is a good range to aim for.

Nancy

18. Colin

Yep, the bimac could go down to about 60degF and upto 75deg F without any bother. But the cooler it is the longer it will live.

C

19. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Not sure myself, but be sure to also visit http://www.manhattanreefs.com/ -- it's an NYC aquarist's site. Let us know if you have any luck.

20. Colin