Small Octo Big Tank

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by EightLeggedFreak, Apr 30, 2004.

1. EightLeggedFreak

EightLeggedFreak O. bimaculoides Registered

Is an Octopi that is 2.5 inches total length to small to be put in a 75 gallon aquarium?

2. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

nope, and it will soon (depending on species) fill it :)

3. EightLeggedFreak

it's a baby bimac, just got it this morning from fishsupply, and is currently hiding in the rock somewhere. It's got a 3/4 inch head length now. How fast do they usually grow if you feed them real good. I mean like 3/4 inch to about 1.5-2 inches? he looked like a spec when i first put him in there. Also how long should i wait before i start turning on the lights in the tank. Hour? a day? 2 days?

4. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Congratulations on your octopus. It would be interesting for you to follow the growth of other octopuses reported in Journals and Photos. For instance, BOE has reported a lot on The Agent, and he's clearly bigger.

Maybe wait a day before turning on the lights - then don't leave them on all day - maybe 10 hours. I use a timer.

Nancy

5. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

it is normal for a cephalopodto increase in mass by 25% each week, a bimac can certainly do that... and more probably :)

6. Nancy

But the interesting thing is, the bimac is so small that you'll barely notice this big increase each week - it will appear to grow slowly. Be patient - time goes quickly enough!

Nancy

7. EightLeggedFreak

25% thats quite a bit in a week, currently i havent seen him since i put him in the tank but that normal from what ive read. i bought alot of clams also and i was wondering how i should feed him? if i leave them on a flat surface so they cant burrow will he find them over night or will i need to diretly give them to him? anything you can tell me is appreciated, as im am wanting him to last as long as possible. (of course) Also was wondering if 75 degrees is an ok temp for him? seems i can only get the tank that low with air conditioning.

8. Nancy

Do you have a sump? You can lower the temperature several degrees by having a small (8 or 10 inch) fan blow on the water in the sump. It would be better to have 72 degrees than 75.

Nancy

9. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

I would do both. That way, he has interaction with you and but also isnt totally dependent. :)

10. EightLeggedFreak

yes i do have a sump. i have a large wet dry filter on my 75 gallon that is rated for a 150 gallon. thanks i wil do that.

11. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Congrats on your new octo!! Name yet???

12. EightLeggedFreak

no i havent i want to wait to proparly name it it. something out of the ordinary!!!!

13. EightLeggedFreak

1:00 pm as i woke up this morning, ( yes it was a rough night :beer: ) i can't believe i even saw him. He was attached to the side of a rock perfectly camoflauged. His two eyes sticking out were the only things that gave him away. Should i try feeding him today some clams, or should i wait another day so he can become further comfortable? I was also wondering ow i should go about feeding clams to him? Thanx

14. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

One way I fed The Agent clams was by bending a plastic tube and slipping the clams in. The Agent eventually learned to grab into the tube and eat! :D

The other way was with a flipped over cup so the clams couldnt burrow.

:)

15. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

You could try feeding it now, if it doesn't don't worry, it might be feeding on amphipods is your tank.

16. EightLeggedFreak

i dont think i would have any amphipods laft in my tank. first i dont have live rock but i have about 45 lbs of lace and 10 lbs or lava rock. and ive had this tank running for about 2 years as a fish only system so i doubt there is any left if there was any in the first place.