skimmers

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by oceanbound, Jul 23, 2006.

1. oceanbound

oceanbound O. bimaculoides Registered

hey guys i have a 55 gallon that is in its second month of cycling. it currently has three yellow-tailed damsels. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with a 100 gallon red sea prizm skimmer. if it's not a good choice then what other types would you suggest.

2. Paradox

Paradox Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

Not sure bout that model, But i use an ASM skimmer and it produces the foulest stuff..I couldnt be happier with it..

3. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

There has been a lot of discussion of skimmers on this forum. If you use the search function (type in skimmer), you should find at least some of these questions answered. Whatever you do, I wouldn't recommend the Odyssea 75...

Check out this thread...
    http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/3753/

4. nini

nini Wonderpus Registered

paradox, how much was your skimmer? and do u have a link that i could find it on?

5. Illithid

Illithid Vampyroteuthis Supporter

6. Paradox

I got mine here

http://asmskimmer.com/

I have a G1x on a 50 gallon.(Total Water Volume probably 80-90gallons).

I modified the skimmer to have the gate valve and recirculation mods. (Cheap to do and well worth it) There are extensive posts on this on reef central or the asmskimmer.com forums. I also added a drain to the cup to drain to a 3 gallon bucket. Skimming wet and having an autotop off with ro/di has made my tank pretty much carefree. This is probably not adviseable, but I rarely ever do water changes :oops: I empty the 3 gallon bucket once a week and probably evaporate 1/2 gallons of water day. When I empty the bucket, I slowly just pour the equivalent in salt into my sump. (Probably not the best practice, but its been working great so far!

7. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Any brand of skimmer is fine...as long as it works ! I've used redsea skimmers before, and been happy with them overall. Personally, I think the best bet is to buy the brand that your local fish store carries...so you can get replacement parts and advice as needed, and quickly.
    greg

8. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

You might also look at the Coralife Super Skimmer (CSS). They're one of the most inexpensive needle-wheel skimmers available.

Dan

9. oceanbound

oceanbound O. bimaculoides Registered

does anyone have any experience with the coralife super skimmer?

10. marineboy

marineboy Wonderpus Registered

I bought my little SeaClone protein skimmer at a local petsmart for 110$, not bad since it comes with pump and assimilation is easy. You basically screw on a couple parts by hand and then plug it in. I have had no experience with protein skimmers before and this one has been working great so far without any maintenance except for cleaning the collection cup. Plus if your getting an octo it has a foam cartridge over the intake on the pump so its octo-safe :)

11. marineboy

marineboy Wonderpus Registered

SeaClone

I bought my little SeaClone protein skimmer at a local petsmart for 110$, not bad since it comes with pump and assimilation is easy. You basically screw on a couple parts by hand and then plug it in. I have had no experience with protein skimmers before and this one has been working great so far without any maintenance except for cleaning the collection cup. Plus if your getting an octo it has a foam cartridge over the intake on the pump so its octo-safe :)

12. milabfocker

milabfocker Pygmy Octopus Registered

I have a Coralife Super Skimmer on my 75 and it works great. It pulls alot of garbage from my tank. I've previously owned a Seaclone and Red Sea Prism Skimmer, both with horrible results. I was always having to tune the air valve on the Seaclone and the Red Sea Prism skimmer was putting out tons of micro bubbles. I would go with a Coralife skimmer if you want a cheap skimmer that works great$. You can find them online for low seventies.

13. milabfocker

milabfocker Pygmy Octopus Registered

I have a Coralife Super Skimmer on my 75 and it works great. It pulls alot of garbage from my tank. I've previously owned a Seaclone and Red Sea Prism Skimmer, both with horrible results. I was always having to tune the air valve on the Seaclone and the Red Sea Prism skimmer was putting out tons of micro bubbles. I would go with a Coralife skimmer if you want a cheap skimmer that works great$. You can find them online for low seventies.

14. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

Here is my buddy's list. According to him you can't really go wrong with these:
    ASM- More or less EuroReef Clone. Good thing!
    Octopus - Another EuroReef Clone
    EuroReef - Probably the most consistent (expensive)
    Aqua C - Remora, Urchin, and EV skimmers
    Precision Marine

Less than great:
    Red Sea - Anything
    Kent
    CPR

15. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for passsing on these recommendations. Could you please ask your buddy which of these skimmers is easiest to use. I've read so many reviews of protein skimmers - some people like complication, some don't.

I've also read some good reviews of Corallife, but it's relatively new on the market.

Nancy

16. Fini

Fini Wonderpus Supporter

The EuroReef is probably the best plug 'n play skimmer out there, but it's not the cheapest. I would imagine the ASM or Octopus would be equally easy. The AquaC Remora and Urchin work off a different principal and as far as I've read or been told, those are pretty much plug and play too. The trade off being you don't have to worry about tuning it, but you have to worry about larger debris clogging the spray bar jets. Reviews I read say they are much quieter than conventional systems too.

17. Paradox

I choose ASM, because I heard so many good reviews on the EuroReefs. ASM are the same as EuroReefs but made from cheaper plastics/materials. Ive read that a disgruntled EuroReef worker started ASM. At the time of my purchase, I did a lot of research, and Im not dissapointed. However, Ive not personally used the other brands mentioned on this thread, so I cant compare...