Skimmer Things! ID please

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I hope everyone who sees these photos says "Thats just a XXXX, you noob!"

I don't know what these are. They are all over the inside of my skilter on my 30 gallon. There are NONE in the tank. The tank houses Zoas, leathers, a Tridacna, and Bill the Sepia Bandensis. The tops look like they are spines, but hopefully they are just filter feeders.

Attachments

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
I believe these are sponges, but I haven't looked it up any further. I have them in my tank, too, albeit many, many fewer :)

Dan

Illithid

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
I thought they were Tunicates too, but mine seem to have spines or filters, where all the other photos that I can find are simple barrel shaped siphon feeders.
Also all the others look like gorgeous Chihuly glass, mine are dull ivory and not as translucent.

Attachments

DHyslop

Architeuthis
Supporter
I would expect to see some sort of excurrent siphon if its a tunicate. Perhaps it is there, just too small to see.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
I've seen these from time to time in my tank, but they didn't thrive the way they're doing in yours! (I don't know what they are.)

Nancy

PSLee

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Are they able to retract their "spines"? The "spines" might be a lophophore or other feeding structures. Hmm.. these guys don't look very ascidian-ish.

joefish84

Sepia elegans
Registered
they are not exactly spines but more so just filters for the tunacate if you look close the intake valve is at the base of the tunacate

PSLee

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
joefish84;80291 said:
they are not exactly spines but more so just filters for the tunacate if you look close the intake valve is at the base of the tunacate
Hmm... intake valve at the base? I believe tunicate incurrent siphons are found on the anterior surface of the animal. Can we get a more close up pic of this critter? I am dying to know what it is =)

alien4fish

O. vulgaris
Registered
sponges !! they are a good thing to have, filter feeders could be tiny feather dusters to but look more like sponges to me
thats good means you are doin things right!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nyima

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak