Skimmer Alternatives

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by Fishy, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Fishy

Fishy Blue Ring Registered

Hi,
    I am still in the research stage of ceph keeping, so I hope this may be my excuse if you find this a stupid question :lol:
    Are there any temperate cheaper alternatives to a protein skimmer? I have heard of the Berlin method, but because cephs produce more waste this may not be a good idea? I am planning on setting up a temperate marine Eledone Cirrhosa / Sepia officinalis setup in the garage, and the tank will hopefully be 100g at the least.
    Thanks,
    James

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

3. ReeferTom

ReeferTom Larval Mass Registered

I too am at the research stage of ceph ownership, but I thought I would chime in for my two bits. I have been keeping reef tanks for a few years now so I am not a complete noob :) On the topic of protein skimming...the short answer is yes you need a skimmer. The Berlin method is awesome and it does clean your water, but it is not meant to replace a skimmer. On both my reef tanks I have refugiums that use the Berlin Method as well as a protein skimmer and I still worry about how clean my water is. Now ask me if you can have a successfull tank without a skimmer and the answer is still yes....However I would imagine that would take waterchanges almost daily and if your ceph inked in the tank then major water change. Sadly the cost of a skimmer can be quite high but do the research find one that will more than handle your tank and I promise you will be happy with all the stinky stinky stinky sludge that it makes for you!

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

The Tank Talk thread has a sticky (post that stays on the top) for discussing skimmers. There is no conclusion or obvious best answer presented but lots of alternatives to read and review.