Simon - Arrival - 8-08-10

I am hoping Roy will take a look to see if I am clear on what I see. I can never see the tip and groove clearly on live animals but have noticed them in photos.

[edit] Roy had a look at the photos and said to notice that the second right arm in the first photo (he also could not determine which arm the exposed tip was from in the second photo) looks very similar to the the tip shown in the second. This would eliminate the sex identification so unless you are seeing the third right arm curled, Simon remains unsexed.

Thanks! I think I have finally figured out the perfect setting for pics with my 50 D, sometimes anyway. :smile: :smile:And I'm going to assume Simon in male. Keeping fingers crossed! Got a call yesterday afternoon, he was plastered on the front of the tank watching Jess, Robert and the dog that's not mine! He's getting very curious about the world outside his tank! We went collecting on Sunday afternoon, but found no crabs at all so brought home about 50 snails. Have to go again this week as the tide will be perfectly low right after work. The one shot he was sitting by the top of the tank, and I thought was going to swim to the front. He kept looking like he was going to launch! You can judge his size by the 2" cleaner magnet.

Maya did launch and hover at my hand cleaning the tank one day (I could see why they got the nickname bumble bee octopus). I did not leave my hand in the tank long enough to find out what she had in mind. So wanted a video but she never did it again. The hover was particularly odd to watch.

Day 19 - Yesterday morning, I was concerned as apparently Simon had moved the large barnacle where I could not see his den opening anymore. I moved the barnacle so his den is out in the open in the front. I was worried as when I moved it, I could not see him inside and scanning the tank he was not out exploring. After scanning the floor and rechecking my sealing of the lid, I went back to the front of the tank and there was the "eye"! He seems very content with the new positioning of his den as he is constantly at the door watching. Last night, Jess says he's out mom and he was at the opposite side of the tank in the front watching. I put a small crab in 1/2 way down and he swam to capture it! Wish I had the video running as he was awesome and so fast in his swooping down to get dinner! Very encouraged that he seems to be doing very well and is very interested in us! The second photo....most of you may know what it is but I do not think anyone has ever posted a pic of....octopus poop....I watched him climb to the top corner of the tank and shoot it out...

Day 24...He must not have liked my moving the barnacle as after not being able to locate him for 2 days, he is now living in the synthetic cave in the middle of the tank. Has pulled shells into the cave, is using one as the door on the second hole. Jess and I went collecting last night. (After ingesting yucky feeder tank scum on the bottom of the tank:yuck:) and brought home about 20 hermit crabs and 50 mud snails. No crabs this trip. My usual collecting spot by the inlet was closed down due to a sea fair. Anyway, Simon kept shooting his arms out of the new den, trying to catch a hermit, but did not emerge. I hope this is not the beginning of denning.....

No he did not....Interesting enough we found about 10 more at the beach by a marina, inland but did not bring any home as I felt bad I lost the other. Will have to take some pics next collecting trip! And Simon was a pig last night! He had 3 small crabs he pulled into his den. I continued with harming myself by falling on the rocks as I scrambled to join my son after he picked up a cement slab which underneath had to be 20 crabs.

Simon is eating me out of house and home. My last collecting job is dwindling quickly! I need to make a trip to the local seafood store and buy some fresh shrimp and scallops. He is out on a nightly basis looking for food. Swims all the way across the tank to pounce on the crab. His eyes, looked dilated to me in the tank at the pet shop and I notice one is still a little weird. I almost did not buy him because of this. I'm wondering if he can actually see out of the one eye. I did 20% water change on Wed. night. Found one Eheim hose was kinked at the base of the filter. I was able to reroute it to ease the kink but need to replace it. I will post pics later as I just got my computer back up and running. Power supply went bad. Good thing I did the water change Wed as last night I cut my thumb and ended up with 5 stitches.:roll:

Simon is doing so well! He has just in the past few days become very interactive. Swimming to jump on the cleaner magnet when I'm trying to clean the glass. The waterchange the other day he kept trying to grab the siphon from his den. And last night he was venturing an arm or two out of the water at the top of the tank. He allowed me to stroke him for a very short period of time. He's gotten so large. Curled he's the size of my fist and you can gauge his size by the cleaner magnet. Makes me wonder if we are correct with what type he is.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back