Simon - Arrival - 8-08-10

I will make a wild guess that Simon is somewhere between 5 and 7 months old. Tracking backward from Octane and OhToo and assuming a 12 - 14 month life span I would have guessed that interaction started somewhere at this size and age.

I am sure that Monty will be the dwarf version of the Caribbean Two Spot (I hesitate to use hummelincki or filosus anymore because I am convinced there is a small and large version of the Caribbean octopus with eyespots :biggrin2:) and I don't believe any of the smaller ones ever became overly social. Serendipity and Maya were my small females but others with the small ones seem to have similar low interaction. On the other hand, the larger ones (with the possible exception of CaptFish's Penn who may be something else) seem to be human attention seekers.

Simon is really beutiful, what size Magfloat is that? I was trying to judge his size but I have two different sizes of mag floats!
How big are these crabs?
CaptFish;163214 said:
That stinks. I hate stitches its not that they hurt that much they just make doing everything a pain in the butt. Get well soon.
I've never had stiches :smile: but I did get staples in my head when I was 5:mad:

4" Cleaner magnet! :biggrin2: The crabs are from 1" shells to 3". I really need to visit the seafood store soon to get him going on shrimp and scallops. He's been dining on the local crabs, hermit crabs and 2 different types of snails. I'm so happy to have an interactive octo again!!! And I believe you are right Di.

Well...drastic turn of events. Simon is denning. No sighting in 2 days, but shells pulled in front of her cave entrance and no interest in food.....On a happy note....Check out the table I found for $10 for my 2nd octo tank to be... Front opens with shelving and the top has a piece of inlaid granite. Very sturdy .

The tank stand with the place to keep food and other clutter stuff looks ideal!

We so often see this with hummelincki females and seem to have no clue as to why (her huge appetite was probably a major clue this was going to happen). My single guess from the little pieces (and it is as wild a SWAG as there is) would be that our tanks are colder than where they were captured, triggering the coming of fall (I like that thought better than one of my others, being that they discover they are in a safe egg laying environment). Should I get a female next go round I intend to run the tank temp up to around 82 (until this summer, I have worked on keeping them below 78). What is particularly odd is that we only see it in (although mercatoris is suspect) this species.

Simon has her den closed up tighter than you would believe. I want to peak inside but I'm afraid if there are eggs, the shore shrimp will get in there. They can be quite aggressive. She has not eaten since the 23rd of September. I did offer a snail a few days after she closed herself in and she did take it but I have no idea if she ate it or not.

Still no sight at all. She's collected everything within her reach to close up the den. I may attempt to peak today later. I miss her. She was so interactive before she started denning....

Well...came home to over 100 swimming babies. Kind of bittersweet as I know this type are just about impossible to raise. They are so tiny, swimming up to the light. I tried to get a decent shot but so far this is as good as I was able to get. Have to check on Simon. She looked very thin when I peaked in at her about a week ago. Coloring very washed out. So Sept 25th was the last time I saw her out of the den and the eggs hatched today, the 29th. Interesting to note that she came to live with me August 8th. Obviously, it is not uncommon to have a fertile female for a few months before the eggs are laid as this is probable the 4th or 5th octopus that has hatched out eggs in my home without a male in sight. I need to plan a trip to Pa soon.

RIP Simon.....She survived till I returned from Costa Rica...My children said as soon as I returned, your octopus is still alive...Yesterday morning she was at the front of the cave...When I returned home from work she was gone....All babies are gone...although I always hope one may surprise me like Nancy's tank....I took a final pic to show final size. She gave me such a delightful 2 weeks before she went into denning. I will miss her...but my tank is prime so who knows what may arrive in the short future hopefully!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back