"Signing" to Cuttlefish?

Discussion in 'Behavior and Intelligence' started by nanoteuthis, Sep 22, 2011.

1. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Cuttlefish: the Sentient Cephalopods

Reading the article above reminded me that awhile ago, one of our members mentioned that you really can "sign" to Cuttlefish. I recall her saying that if you turn your hand down at the wrist with the back of your hand facing your cephy friend, it will "see" that as the front of another Cuttlefish, with your fingers as the tentacles. There's a way of holding your fingers which means "I am friendly", but I don't remember which way that is. Anyone want to discuss this? I think it's quite amazing!

PS: After 10+ years of TONMO online, could someone please tell our [expletive deleted] system dictionary that "Cephalopod" is a real word?

2. nanoteuthis

nanoteuthis Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

What's going on? When I posted the previous submission and clicked on the new thread, nothing appeared until I hit "reply to thread". Is there some kind of glitch in the system?

3. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

That's actually built into your browser. type cephalopod then right click on it, and "add to dictionary" I did this with all the Latin species names too.

4. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

worked for me. Might have just been a little hick-up they happen.

5. perke

perke O. bimaculoides Registered

I've found you can do hand postures to cuttles, although I'm not 100% sure what I was saying to it as it was in another public aquarium (I think the cuttles have to be of similar size to your fingers). You can also do hand postures to common octopus although you generally have to do that one in the tank. It's an interesting point as my cuttles can see me and recognise that I'm a source of food so why would they then communicate with a hand when they can see it is attached to the rest of me.