Sighting of Possible Large Cephalopod Near Portugal

i will look with my friend he is a norweagian and also a fisherman :biggrin2: so he mabye got some who knows allways worth a try and i will link thise to the swedish saltwatter site there it mabye can be somone who have got thise experience i mean thise site is one of the biggest in sweden.

Hi Blackis, Thanks for any help. I have contacted the owner of the yacht I was on at the time to get photographs. She is still named 'Respite' and is based in Scotland. If I had been more aware at the time I would have asked if the hull bottom displayed any unusual markings when the yacht was 'lifted' after she arrived in the UK the voyage due to the proximity of the 'thing' and its tentacles.

ok Dave have heard about 'bloop', Has anyone had odd sonar signals that are inexplicable? I have heard of a yacht that when ofshore which was inexplicably lifted by some welling of water and another story of a large glowing object coming up under a yacht in Indonesia. If we put the word out amongst the 'delivery crews' maybe they have seen somthing. More likely to occur with slow sailing vessels or stopped power boats but better at say 3 knts under sail - migrating whales speed- all speculation of course and no proof!

Tim Stress Eng;136285 said:
I have heard of a yacht that when ofshore which was inexplicably lifted by some welling of water and another story of a large glowing object coming up under a yacht in Indonesia.

Queen Sheetal is restless, stirring deep in the oceans. Hoards of tutu-clad naked dancing frogs chant long-forgotten, seldom-spoken verses of Mama Mia. Roy Orbison is nervous, but not half as nervous as Frank Sinatra. And if you expect sense to come of this, change thread.

Hi Steve, , totally understand your difficulty with this thread - no evidence its all hearsay and all depending on one whitness and his honesty and observation powers, best regards, Tim

What can I say? I will complete sketch's of the 'object' and its relation to the yacht 'Respite' during the encounter and post them on this site. I personally think that I encountered a large powerfull animal but I am realistic enough to realise that without evidence, I will not be able to convince others that this is what occured. Indeed this is not my original main objective, as I wanted my desription logged in some form, 'for the record'.

Some rough sketches - I hope they are attached!

These are rough sketches of what I saw that night when sailing off the Portuguese coast.

Attachments

• conv_294214.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 137
I probably have not explained the transistion from (3) to (4) in enough detail. The 'light show' switched of abruptly and at the same time the round end below and beyond the transom of the yacht, that is aft of the yacht dropped down vertically. I briefly lost sight of the object. It then reappeared as a verical shape hanging below the water off the port bow which was now defined and by swirling white 'clouds' (phosphorescence?). It appeared to be vibrating from the movement of these 'clouds'. It also appeared to be thinner and longer than when initially viewed from above - I could now see it uninterrupted by any parts of the yacht hanging vertically in the water off the port bow. The yacht was on port tack on a constant northerly course. Looking over the stern the end appeared at a rough angle of 30 degrees to the vertical line of sight. I could not quite see the 'cut off' area beyond the bow but saw wriggling pink/red tubes with black blotches. The yacht was heeling at say 15 degrees to the vertical and the gunwale and cabin were in the way of my view forward. The sails as they were set partially obscured the view to starboard . The object/animal accelerated from the vertical hanging position straight vertically down. It appeared to accelerate at high speed into the depths disappearing very quickly.
The whole encounter occurred over a matter of seconds asy 20 seconds. Any questions contact me at [email protected].
The delivery company 'Shearwater Sailing' that employed me operated out of a Southampton marina (Town Quay)and I had delivered quite a few yachts in Northern Europe and crewed to the Med by the time this trip took place.

Clarifying again - sorry I am doing this in a hurry, my second paragraph refers to the phase (3rd) when it hung at say 30 degrees to the surface underneath the boat keeping station with the yacht. I used the 'line of sight' forward and aft to assess the scale of the thing by drawing scale diagrams. Thus I have come up with a length of 80 to 100 feet and width (from above) of about 30 to 35 feet. it appeared thinner when hanging vertically. Ithen return to a description of how the thing departed having hung for a few seconds off the port bow.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back