Shrimp pics

No phil doesn't, sadly. :P(They can be trained to, and I've only had him exactly 3 weeks today, so only time will tell) Phil is too small to crack class, that's G.chigira O.scyllarus and some other big ones. and then the class has to be >8mm thick. The Phil is an N.wennerae, and they only get 3". The larger ones that break the glass get 8" or more (I think the largest mantis is a spearer-Hemisquilla spp.-at about 15" long. ), phil is a smasher BTW. The fabled "Thumbsplitter" (one that can cut down to the bone) is actually a californian (smasher, I think) species that can reach striking speeds in the area of 10meters/second, and approaches the force of a .22 caliber bullet. Phil has flicked his "feeding tube" (eyedropper full of adult artemia, fills 1/2-3/4 of his diet) occasionally, and I can tell you, I am REALLY impressed. He can--in just a few milli-seconds-- easily produce enough force to smash a snail shell to pieces. Mind you, I mean an ASTREA snail shell! Anyways, back to phil :smile:. Lately he's been acting smug...HE KNOWS HE HAS BETTER EYES THAN ME!!! HE KNOWS IT.... Yes, they do have better eyes, and yes , I did say smug....because he IS acting smug....

One more extra post (triple posting twice in two days- I'm so ashamed. :P ).

The main advantage with mantis shrimps (besides the rest that I've already posted), is they are (as far as I know) as intelligent as cephalopods (advanced rituals in the wild, plus "playing has been observed, as well as learning, problem solving, and adapting behavior and lifestyle as needed, a distinctive trait in humans), have better eyes than humans (actually, as far as I know, best eyes under-and over-the ocean, will cover more later in post), can be trained in some ways, give great pics (and if you have a polarized lens you might get a pic of polarized signaling), and can live 8+ years. Very fun little guys, especially if you can teach them the "happy food dance" 'game', or peek-a-boo. :biggrin2:

Mantises have better eyes, as they have 10 different types of visual pigments in their eyes(compared to humans 3-i.e. red(~560nm) blue(~425nm) green(~530nm)), have built-in "crosshair" design (giving phenomanal(sp?) depth perception), the "tribanded" design gives both individual eye depth perception and trinocular vision. More info here: Meet Blueboard, Not Your Average Philodendron

Nice pics CK,

We keep Heterosquilla which are fine, small don't blow the glass or damage unwary aquarists. There is another Squilla sp which we don't keep due to it's stupendous ability at fingertip removal!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back