Should I even try yet?

Hello! Im new to this forum, and also new to marine life. And by "new" I mean I don't even have a tank yet. Its just always been a dream of mine to have a salt water tank with an octopus or cuttlefish in it, and a pet store opened up a few miles away that sells octopi from time to time! This got me so excited, im completely obsessed with all cepholapods. While im not a complete moron in regards to ceph knowledge (i watch discovery channel a lot!) my knowledge of how to actually take care of them isnt very great. I mean, ive never had any salt water life... so do you think an octopus would be too challenging for a first timer? I would feel just awful if i got one and he died in a few days :-( well... anyway, what do you think i should start out with to get prepared for an octopus? any opinions would be really appreciated! thanks!

Amazingsquibbon

Welcome to tonmo.com... you came to the right place!!!

yes, it can be done from scratch! Why not check past posts on the ceph care forum and particular attention to posts by rockthis11.. he did it but had a few problems towards the end... just read as much as possible and ask questions :smile:

colin

:welcome: to TONMO.com Amazingsquibbon!!

I don't see why you shouldn't try, quite a few people have started their marine tanks with cephs so why not. Just take things one step at a time, be patient and ask if in doubt.

Look at me im 12 and ive only had a 10 gal.Im trying for my first time. I dont see why you shouldnt.(I hope you get this)Oh and BTW where are you in ohio.

Amazingsquibbon it might be hard at first but look at the pages made by Colin and Nancy to extend your knowledge. Click Ceph Care at the top of the screen and immerse yourself. :smile:

I was a newbi too. I decided I didnt feel I could handle a ceph at first so I got a betta. Kept it for a month then got an Oscar. I love my O. Ive gotten some other fish and now feel like I can care for an Octo. It's been just about 6 months since I joined this great site. :smile:

Oh yeah and :welcome:! :biggrin2:

Me too, first I had spectacular failures at teacup rays and freshwater eels, then I saw a big red octopus in my pet store, decided I wanted one, turned my tank to a saltwater, let it cycle for a while, and yada yada here I am now.

It's been a while but :welcome: anyways!

BOE you are the food God. All my fish crack me and my wife up when I walk into a room. The go nuts!!!! If anyone else comes in they are business as usual, although I never get to see that unless I try to spy on them. It does feel good that they reconize and know me for my efforts! :biggrin2:

neptune said:
BOE you are the food God. All my fish crack me and my wife up when I walk into a room. The go nuts!!!! If anyone else comes in they are business as usual, although I never get to see that unless I try to spy on them. It does feel good that they reconize and know me for my efforts! :biggrin2:

Ive found that if I get my friend to wiggle her finger at the top of my O's tank, well you know what would happen. :twisted:

Same for the cuttle, arowana, lionfish and the stuff in the feeder tank. The cuttle starts swimming like mad, the lion sits at the front of the tank where food comes down, arowana swims at front and feeders stay at surface.

Fingers in cuttle tank = fingernail scratched by beak and hands feeling weird suckers.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back