• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Should I attempt to breed my cuttefish?

L S

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi there!

I have Trusty for more than 4 months. He/she is a S. Latimanus I think and is about 10-12cm long in ML now. Lately I've been thinking if I should try to find him/her a mate, you know..for reasons like its such a beautiful creature but such short live span n hoping that his/her legacy would live on n stuffs like that....

Couples of worries i have :goofysca:

:?: Trusty still too juvenile to mate?
:?: Can't sex them. Get a few n let maths work it out?
:?: May not get the same size. Too big or too small n they will gobble each other up.
:?: Trusty turns out to be male. Fight and injure and die.

Really, the last thing I want is to loose Trusty.

Any opinion would be most welcome :talker:

Cheers,
LS

All of you points are valid and i have to say that with my experiences the way they turned out i would order 10 small latimanus and grow them up in a huge tank/pond and let nature take its course...

at 12cm long they are too small to sex

i'd be very concerned about adding any new cuttles to meet Trusty

C

Thanks Colin,

Guess I'll leave thing be then. Trusty has a seahorse as companion, so I hope it wouldn't be too bored. They always hang around together.

Cheers,
LS

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back