Shevia - O.hummelincki

sk252006;167979 said:
What size would you say your new octo friend is? Using fruit to help describe will help us greatly.

I'd say he is about the size of a large lemon! He was out for about 2 hours and then went under a rock, and hasn't been out since!

JMP;167982 said:
I'd say he is about the size of a large lemon! He was out for about 2 hours and then went under a rock, and hasn't been out since!

Hiding is good. Its very good normally. It can be pretty normal for them to hide for days or even a week or two. It can take some a bit of time to adjust to their new home.

What size tank do you have? I seriously doubt you have an O. maya octopus because they are extreemly rare, so much so that we have never had one journaled on TONMO. That all being said, if you have O. maya then you should be prepared for a large (very large) octopus probably requiring an aquarium at the very least of a 125 gallons.

I really do hope some of the more experianced folks come around soon, and trust me they will.... but they should be able to give you a more clear picture of what you have and also if need be ask you for the right kinds of pictures to best make an ID.

JMP;167983 said:
So, I should increase the temp to 76*ish?
If you go to http://www.aquacon.com/cephalopods.html it's says Assorted Atlantic Octopus, but then underneath the pic it says Caribbean.
We are going to put him in a bigger tank, we were expecting a MUCH smaller octo! He will be moved shortly!

As far as the temp goes I might raise it to 73 but no more until you are sure of what you have. Temp changes should be done over the course of days. Raising one degree a day until you have reached your target temp. Any faster can make the animal stress out.

As far as the move goes I would wait a week or two. Hes already been stressed from shipping and holding areas to a truck to your home. Moving him again so soon could be to much for him.

BTW WELCOME TO TONMO!

Yes, we were expecting a baby (or at least one much smaller)! Nonetheless, we are happy and excited! We won't move him until next week! We did move the temp to 73*, and will hopefully get more input soon on his ID!

You can check the journal I have of my O. Hummelincki as it stretches from around three months of age to current (roughly 11 months old) and I have posted many pictures and videos that you can cross refference with your animal and see if they match.

I'll chime in on this one :biggrin2:. My best guess is a O.hummelincki/filosus, likely from Haiti. Not only do they say Atlantic but also Caribbean so 76 is a good number. We don't see octos from the North Atlantic and the 64-72 recommendations are for the Pacific animals (that paticular company tends to not be one of the best to rely on for care information). I am guessing Haiti because of its size but this species (or group - the species is badly in need of better definition using live animals) see a wide variety of sizes.

I am very found of this species and the males are pretty hardy (unfortunately, for unknown reasons, females tend to start brooding behavior after about two weeks in an aquarium). Many will acclimate to human interaction if you work with them regularly and slowly.

This thread has photos and discussion on sexing an octopus

And this one has a number of papers about O. hummelincki that you might find interesting.

O.Maya is very rare to see in the aquarium trade but that is most likely because of their size and that they are common food in Mexico. Since it is a large egg species, they are experiementing with growing them in a restricted area as a farmed food industry.

http://www.panoramaacuicola.com/noticias/2010/03/24/octopus_maya_farming_progresses_in_yucatan_.html

http://fis.com/fis/worldnews/worldn...23&id=35971&l=e&country=0&special=&ndb=1&df=0

Good Morning! I had a hard time falling asleep last night! I kept wantint to go look at him! I got up and turned on the light in his tank but only to the first blue setting! After about a half hour, he came out to say good morning! He just perched himself on a rock for about 20 minutes. Then I turned the light on all the way, and he sat for about another few minutes and went under a rock!
I am going with O. hummelincki based on seeing all the pictures from your journal (thanks). And with the sexing! He does have an arm the looks like it is deformed. It's half an arm with a little tail! I haven't been able to see it very clearly, so I'm going with he's a male!
He has had a great meal of a hermit last night!:wink: So we will see how he continues to eat! Thank you everyone for helping! I really appreciate it! I will keep everyone updated!

Attachments

• conv_297496.jpg
    conv_297496.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • conv_297497.jpg
    conv_297497.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 90
  • conv_297498.jpg
    conv_297498.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 108
I have to say that I am actually jealous. I've ben looking for months for a male to breed with my female but have not found one. I would avoid gluing they lights on and off repeatedly. Its best for the animal to have that steady day and night cycle.

Thanks! We are really excited! I can't stop watching him!!!!!
Our lights go from a lunar Blue Moon Glow (3-.75 w), to a Blue 1-36w), to White Daylight (1-36 w)! So, I turned on the blue first, then about a half hour later turned on the White Daylight! So, other than in the morning and at night, the lights don't change!!

His tank is in the kitchen, and when I am in there moving around, he comes out! I love how interactive he is! I haven't tried sticking my hand in or anything! I think we are both still getting used to each other :heee:

Its great that you fade the lights on and off, but I would recommend no more than 10 to 12 hrs of light each day. This would be the natural daylight period they would receive in the wild. And its best not to shine any light, I.e. flashlights in the aquarium after dark. It's great to hear of someone with great enthusiasm for these animals. I don't get much of that outside of this website.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back