Shevia - O.hummelincki

Thanks Everyone!!! Another question (I love this site)! We have a 65 gallon tank that we are going to move him into in the next month, and we are trying to figure out how to "octo-proof" the lid! It has a divider in the middle, so we are finding some difficulty in getting a lid for it! Any suggestion? Any suggestions on what type? Glass, Acrylic, Screen, etc.... We were thinking either way, about getting latches for it.... So any help, would be great! Thank you!
BTW.... He ate the other crab today! Yey!!! I'm so relieved he's eating! We will try krill again soon!

Sit down with a cuppa (you fill in the cup of what) and cruise the Tank Talk forum. I think we have as many top designs as we have octopus tanks :biggrin2:.

To start is this a glass or acrylic tank? Does the rim have a banding with any kind of edge? If it has an edge, is the edge flush with either the top OR the bottom of the brace? Do you have a sump (a consideration for temperature control)? Is the tank part of the esthetics of the house (duct tape is often used but not always desired :biggrin2:).

If you don't want to bother with latches, you could always just find a material with either no holes or holes that are small enough so that your animal cannot squeeze through them, and just weight the whole thing down. Latchers are best, but weights are a cheap and easy fix.

JMP;168246 said:
Thanks Everyone!!! Another question (I love this site)! We have a 65 gallon tank that we are going to move him into in the next month, and we are trying to figure out how to "octo-proof" the lid! It has a divider in the middle, so we are finding some difficulty in getting a lid for it! Any suggestion? Any suggestions on what type? Glass, Acrylic, Screen, etc.... We were thinking either way, about getting latches for it.... So any help, would be great! Thank you!
BTW.... He ate the other crab today! Yey!!! I'm so relieved he's eating! We will try krill again soon!

Most of us have them custom made or its a DIY project. Glass, acrylic, or screening is really your choice. I will say if you have MH lighting (not really needed or liked by our octo friends) or any lighting that will sit right on the lid then not to use acrylic. I had a 48" PC light system on my 55 and it sat right on top maybe an inch above... it warped the acrylic (I used 1/4"). So unless you are going to spend $$$ on 1/2" or better for the lid use something else. At first I wanted to use screening but I have a HOB over flow and return so the screen idea sucked for me. When I upgrade to my 75 gallon here in a while I will be using either 1/4 acrylic or glass because I have a lip around the edge of my tank.

dwhatley;168250 said:
To start is this a glass or acrylic tank? Does the rim have a banding with any kind of edge? If it has an edge, is the edge flush with either the top OR the bottom of the brace? Do you have a sump (a consideration for temperature control)? Is the tank part of the esthetics of the house (duct tape is often used but not always desired :biggrin2:).
It is a glass tank with a rim with an edge, and it's at the bottom of the brace. It has a sump and it has a corner overlow (which will be covered also). Prefer not to do duct tape :P

skywindsurfer;168251 said:
If you don't want to bother with latches, you could always just find a material with either no holes or holes that are small enough so that your animal cannot squeeze through them, and just weight the whole thing down. Latchers are best, but weights are a cheap and easy fix.

I think we are wanting to do latches just to be safe! I don't want to have to search for a missing octo, and/or it making it's way to the other tank for supper :P

sk252006;168253 said:
Most of us have them custom made or its a DIY project. Glass, acrylic, or screening is really your choice. I will say if you have MH lighting (not really needed or liked by our octo friends) or any lighting that will sit right on the lid then not to use acrylic. .

We are looking into custom made, just seeing what everyone's preference is. No MH lighting!!!

Ok, for starters I would think about adding an additional lip in one of two ways.

1. Bring the current lip to the height of the crossbar, making is roughly 2-4 inches wide (you can glue, or I have found the tape for auto trim does a good job if all surfaces are totally dry when attaching - love this stuff and it is removable when desired) and add support across the top of the crossbar to the unsupported edge where they meet. This will give you two openings for covers that can easily be hinged and latched.

2. Add a lip UNDER the current crossbar to provide a level shelf with the current lip on each half of the tank. This is easiest but getting something to stick becomes more of an issue because of the constant exposure to splash and evaporative moisture.

Once you have a level surface then you can consider how you want to access the tank. If you use acrylic, all edges MUST be secured or you will have warping. One of the easiest ways is to use acrylic hasps with one edge on the tank and the other on the acrylic. I use them to secure the surrounds as well as for locks for the lids and the tape I mentioned rarely gives me problems (and is very easy to fix if it should come loose).

Here is the top we built (1/2" acrylic) for the 65. The hinged tops are supported with 1/4" acrylic strips attached to the underside of the full top surround. To accomplish a full length cover, you would need to bring the lip up to the cross bar (we did this with the tank you see as a sump in this picture. This tank, even though it was acrylic, did not have any type of edging so we added acrylic bars along the outside to make a small edge level with the cross bar and then made a one piece top with a hinged lid. The advantage of bringing the lip up even with the crossbar is the support the crossbar provides and the simplicity of design. Using acrylic, however, is not inexpensive. The stationary part of this top needs to be fastened down to the tank and I intend to use the acrylic hasps but have run out of the tape and did not have a warping problem until recently. The warp is not bad and the clamping hinges should resolve the problem easily.

Thanks! I will have my fiance look at that and get started :nyah:
What is the name that keeps changing underneath my name? It right now says blue ring, it did say pygmy octopus before! Yours says titanites..... Just wondering....

The names are rankings determined by the number of posts by the member. Ranking changes rapidly for the newcomer but slows considerably at some point. Somewhere deep in the history there is a list with the number of posts for achieving each rank. If I remember correctly it starts with lurker for 0 posts and ends with an old fossile fantacized in my signature graphic :oops:. I am hoping a new blog entry will be posted soon to enlighten the unindoctrinated :wink:

Ah, I found the thread explaining them but I believe the last three marked "special" are no longer used.

LOL!!! Well I better keep posting!! :wink:
I can't get enough of this site. I can't stop reading through everyone's journals and posts!!!

I've been reading and it seems everyone has a powerhead in their tank. We were told by a LFS that you shouldn't have them in the tank.... But obviously that's wrong! With a 65 gallon, will one due or two?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back